Feeding question please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  19:42:09  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Evening all, just a quick question on feeding. I've noticed that some of you feed your mice wet and was wondering is there any benefit in feeding that way or is it just how your snakes prefer to eat.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  19:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mice I feed, look wet but it's just from where I have defrosted them. I don't actually wet them.

They all end up quite damp as I defrost 11 together in a bowl :)
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  19:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I water defrost mine or warm them up with water so they're nearly always wet.
My weird theory on this is that it helps them to go down, although there is no evidence that it works or not.
Some people in the past have had issues with water defrosting because the mice no longer 'smelled' like a prey item to the snake.

It's preference really, snakes will eat either way usually.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  22:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using wet mice is also a very good way to ensure the snake takes in water, not that many people will need to make sure.

Edited by - matty18714 on 02/03/2011 22:11:40
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  10:27:53  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies I might give it a go this weekend and if they don't like it I can always dry them off with the hairdryer to save wasting them.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  14:58:15  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks CentricMalteser good point.

Jane.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000