Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 A visitor said my snake doesnt look well...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  21:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad for you that he has shed, you just need to give him a bath and let him run through a towel then hopefully any stuck bits will come off. In my opinion he is under weight for a snake of that length. And I know what you mean by pictures not showing the true size of them. It seems that unless they are extremely underweight the backbone just doesn't show on a photo.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  21:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I can tell only the very tip of his tail is still attatched, I opened the viv and he was straight out toungue flicking.. I had tears in my eyes,, Gollums back!! haha Its been weeks of him being lethargic and not wanting to be held and all of a sudden he is right back to how he was amazing how shedding can affect everything about a snake! He actually looks so much better too nice and firm how he should look but yes his backbone is still there! ... How would I feed him up? I suspect now he will probably gladly feed now thats out the way but its a bit late to defrost him a mouse now so will have to wait until tomorrow. maybe try him weekly on a medium or go for rat pups? I heard they are ideal for fattening up a snake. Im just so pleased he transformed within minutes AND I MISSED IT! funny his shed is as velvety soft and squidgy as he was before! Got him out now and he feels as he should feel! So SO pleased!!
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  22:33:31  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad he has shed and seems so much more happier. You can use some damp kitchen roll to try and get the end of the tail shed off.
so relieved for you

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  22:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou! So am I! Have tried damp kitchen roll, its still there,, will have another go in the morning if its still there, havenoticed he hasleft me a greeny runny deposit! eww! He already pooed today despite not being fed for a week and a half and pooping after that! ,,, Hopefully its everything back working again! I'm so pleased the worry he has caused us... he's still cruising round his viv back to being the active little eflla we know and love :D ,, really made my day that has :D
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  22:59:17  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm glad he's back to normal for you :) At 4-5ft I would have thought defiently he shoudl be on large mices :( I'd try a large one again, liek maybe a small oneand see if he munches or try medium weekly. ou could try rats but I have no idea what size rat is the same size as a medium mouse.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  23:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou :D. Im dubious about giving him large as there were a couple in the viv,, but then there was a shed in the viv all over the place too soooo... I may buy one and see how he goes I get them from the petshop direct and pick each one! There is every possibility they were never eaten as well as regurges but I seem to remember the head being in one piece but the rest being flat and not looking great on the mice I found but I still dont know and probably never will if they were regurges or just not eaten. He's still out on the OH at the moment toungue flicking totally back to the snake we know and love but keep trying to go at the tail tip but its not budging, Im thinking warm bath in the morning if its still there! Mind from the shed it looks like he is missing all of his back end but to look at him its only the very tip that looks retained so will have to scour over his viv and try to find the missing bits atleast in the morning. So So pleased! ... Hopefully will never have to go through this again as its kept me up at night worrying. For a snake he means rather a lot to us now :D
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  00:47:53  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's great news that he has shed and is back to his old self. It must be such a relief.

Hopefully you'll manage to get the tail shed off without any problems.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  10:51:20  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Really pleased for you and what a relief. When I found a little bit of retained tail on Rhubarb I found the easiest way to get it off was to fill an egg cup with warm water and soak his tail in it while he was enjoying a bit of fuss, it worked a treat for us and came straight off.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  08:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very glad that it seems he is feeling better, but I still don't think he looks underweight. Obviously they are just pictures, but I have seen countless pics of underweight snakes and dealt with them personally and he just doesn't look like one!

I think far too many keepers are now used to seeing fat, unhealthy animals, and so when presented with a normal looking snake, it appears underweight.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/

Edited by - SexyBear77 on 04/03/2011 08:52:49
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  09:03:27  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Very glad that it seems he is feeling better, but I still don't think he looks underweight. Obviously they are just pictures, but I have seen countless pics of underweight snakes and dealt with them personally and he just doesn't look like one!

I think far too many keepers are now used to seeing fat, unhealthy animals, and so when presented with a normal looking snake, it appears underweight.

I have to agree ^^ I saw a terrible picture of a more overweight snake than mine the other day. The reason being the person was concerned it wasn't as thick as a royal.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  19:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad Gollums back to normal! I've heard gerbils are quite fatty compared to mice or rats, but I've never used them

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000