Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

krutus
Snake Mite

Korea
2 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  14:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

I'm new here, and new to corn snake ownership. I have a number of questions to ask (I have done my best to research the answers before asking).

I have very recently inherited a corn snake named Nacho. Nacho is about 5-6 years old, and I think I am her 3rd or 4th owner. I live in South Korea and work as an English teacher, and people tend to come and go here, so Nacho has been passed along from teacher to teacher. Her previous owner had her for three years. I don't want to criticize him in any way, because he is a really nice guy and I know that he loved her, but from reading this forum and others, I'm not sure Nacho is as happy as she could be.

First of all, her vivarium is looking pretty bleak (to put it mildly). It really, really needs to be cleaned, and the substrate (and everything else) completely replaced. My first question: her previous owner told me I should just leave her alone for the first week and let her calm down and get used to me and my apartment before I attempt to handle her or interact in any way. I kind of agree, the move over here was pretty traumatic for her, but what does the forum recommend? Will it stress her out too much if I start messing with her tank and moving her around?

Which leads to my next questions: handling and feeding. First, feeding.

I know for a fact that Nacho has been eating live food (hamsters, specifically) for the last three years, if not her whole life. This Saturday I am going to find a pet store in Seoul that can supply frozen mice, but what are the odds she's going to eat it? I of course will try and see what happens regardless, but might she be a little set in her ways by now? I have no problem live feeding if that is what it takes, but I don't want her to get hurt. Also, Nacho feeds in her vivarium. I want to feed her outside of it, as is recommended. What can I use? I don't have enough space for another large tank, so what would be a good thing to use? Also, how long does she have to stay in there? It says not to handle a snake for 48 hours after they have fed on the care-sheet.

This leads me to handling. Nacho doesn't seem to like it much. In fact, she's pretty damned feisty. I had some practice, and she just constantly tried to get away from me. But, I know she hasn't been handled often, very little at all I suspect. I'm still a little intimidated by her and just want some advice here on how to get her used to it.

Last question: she spends all day on the heated side of the tank. Is my apartment too cold for her? Currently there are no thermostats in her tank (soon to be remedied!). Also, my tank is on the floor. Is that OK? Would she prefer to be up higher?

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help. Basically I'm a first time snake owner and I think my beautiful new snake needs a lifestyle change. Please help me help Nacho! I want her to be happy.

-Krutus

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  17:33:30  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. Congratulations on your addition. I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help as I don't feel experienced enough. However when I got Izzy his viv was in a bit of a mess and STUNK. As much as I hated doing it, all I did was remove as much faeces as I could without disturbing him too much and gave him chance to settle. Then after a weeks settling in period, set to work cleaning the tank and replacing his decor. I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do or not.
As regards heat, what are you using to measure the temperatures in the tank? You should really turn the heatmat off until you have a thermostat as mats can get very hot if left unregulated. Have you got a warm room you can put the tank in until you get a thermostat?

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  19:05:20  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
my viv is on the floor, and is no prob, what is the temp on the warm/cool sides

and if shes not been handled much, then that maybe why shes a bit fiesty

handle her a little bit every day, she will get used to you,

and cant wait to see some pics of your new family member

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Egg

Germany
50 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  20:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Krutus,

Regarding handling, I have always handled my snakes from the very beginning and never had any problems with them. Just 10 or 15 minutes each day to get her used to you and her new surroundings.
I would be tempted to clean out her viv and disinfect everything in it to give her a clean start. Then apart from those short daily handlings, I would leave her for a week to settle.
On the issue of feeding, I'd try her with large defrosted mice. Put them on the radiator for about 15 minutes before feeding and then offer them to her nice and warm. I know corns don't have heat sensors like pythons, but grabbing a warm mouse might excite her more than a room temperature one. If she doesn't accept the first mouse leave her for a week and try again. She'll be ok for a few weeks so don't worry too much.
If all else fails you can always brain the mouse, that is cutting its head and exposing the brain. This apparently gets snakes going.
I don't feed my snakes live food because I think the risks are to great.
I feed all my snakes in their vivs and have had no problems. If she's used to feeding that way, I'd stick to it.
Check out the corn snake care sheet for setting up you viv correctly.
Good luck and congratulations on your first snake.
Strawb
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  21:10:55  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could try the sock thing to help her get used to you.....
Put an old sock or item of clothing inside your top for the day, next to your skin. Then pop it in the snakes viv with her. The idea being that she will get used to your smell in a safe, secure place then she will feel less stressed when you go into the viv or handle her.
It will probably take her some time to 'come round' though if she's not been handled much before.
Good luck and well done for giving her a home!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

krutus
Snake Mite

Korea
2 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  06:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again

Thanks for the advice. My room is pretty cold, so I think turning the heating pad off might be a bad idea. I'll buy a new one this weekend and get that sorted out. I'll also try the sock thing. Thanks! And I'll post a pic once her tank is looking a bit more presentable.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000