dented scales
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jetsfan
Snake Mite

11 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 3 year old striped corn. it is in a 33 gallon tank has a lot of hides. a water bowl that holds about a liter of water and is filled up frequently. i noticed that he has dents in his scales. The scales are only located on his body. His eyes are fine. i keep the warm side at 86 and the cool side about 76. and use repti bark as a ground cover. does anybody have any idea what is causing this. I see him drink often and he eats like a pig and always has. I think he might be slightly dehyrated but he doesnt have any folds and has plenty of water at all times. I do live in canada and winter time does get dry. anybody have any sugestions?

edit,moved to health

Edited by - lee2308 on 23/02/2011 14:16:05

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:44:24  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have seen some dints in some of Izzy's scales too and wondered about them. Didn't know if it was because he is still a tad on the chunky side although he has slimmed down from what he was. I will be interested to hear the replies

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

jetsfan
Snake Mite

11 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  12:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it seems that my boy angus is about to shed I hava increased the humidity in the viv hopfully they will go away. Do you think a corn being a little overweight could cause his scales to look like a golf ball?

Striped corn "Angus" 1.0
Go to Top of Page

jetsfan
Snake Mite

11 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  12:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody I an new to this forum and just would like to say hi. Sorry for not introducing myself. I have never been on one of these before.

Striped corn "Angus" 1.0
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  12:31:15  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome here :) With pictures someone maybe able to suggest what it is.

Depending on where the dints are and if they are in bands and he has a fat bottom, he could be overweight. I've noticed that some of my other adult snakes also have random kinda dints to their scales but they aren't fat, I guess they might just get a bit too rough being nosey at times. They may also be dinted due to having a shed, you see dinted scales because of this much more easier in bigger snakes than babies.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

jetsfan
Snake Mite

11 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  22:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't get a decent pic of it. But now that you mention it he is looking a little chunkey. The dents do go down in a band. I can't see the skin between the scales so he isn't that bad but I will keep an eye on it. Besides the dents he is in great health. Great eater, very active and never has a problem shedding. Thanks for the info.

Striped corn "Angus" 1.0
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  22:13:08  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Does it look like this? http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11891

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

jetsfan
Snake Mite

11 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  02:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No it doresnt look like that. The scales look like it has the dimples from a golf ball on them. He is going to shed soon he cleared up this morning and the dimples are not as pronounced. When he turned white the dimples were very visible. I'm hopeing they will disappear when he shedds. Angus is not even close to the size of the ones in the pics.

Striped corn "Angus" 1.0
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000