New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leehale88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya got me a new corn snake yesterday and handled him twice (once in the petshop and once to transfer him to the viv) and the second time he approached my hand not the other way round after a lil coaxing. He seems pretty settled and doesnt seem nervous to be honest i stood lookin at him earlier and he lay there resting his head on a rock looking back at me. My question is do i have to wait a week to start handling him? If i wasnt to wait a week what could the side effects be? (this is my first snake)
Any advice would be great thanks

BUZZ

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:21:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A week is just a guideline to let the snake settle into its new home. There might not be any concequences as such, it just the best way to ensure that your snake is more comfortable in its surroundings before you disturb it too much.

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

leehale88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its killing me! lol

BUZZ
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah its a pain in the ass alright!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  21:52:15  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well if one day in settling in time that you stick you hand in to change the water and he crawls on your hand, I would say you can have a cuddle and break the 7 day rule :)

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  00:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we are having the same dilema , we had our 7 month old on tuesday and its killing us not ot hold him ! we have handled him briefly twice now both while changing his faun as he had pooped , i held him while my other half did the clean and he was fast to begin with , but then settled down and slowed down too , he seemed really active after in his faun as if to say he wanted to come back out . its killing us too!! we also wondered if it was a bad thing to hold him a little sooner ??? xx

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  02:34:08  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well tbh, if your snakes happy to be touched by you, then i cant see the problem to be handled sooner, just keep in mind the 48hr rule after feeding - a snakes thats eaten do not handle for at least 48 hrs due to digestion of the food item
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  08:45:23  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not handling for 7 days to let a new snake settle in is just a suggestion. Some people stick to it religiously others go by the temperament of the individual snake, whether it seems nervous, is hiding, etc. It's your choice.

Not handling for 48hrs after feeding is however a rule that must be stuck to prevent regurgitation.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  12:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he always seems very active after we have handled him , i e he doesnt go straight for his hide , hes very active and keeps looking back at me . he seemed alot calmer today being held for less than five mins while we cleaned his tub again . we are planning on feeding him tonight so we arent getting him out again till probably sunday now and by monday it will have been nearly a week,x

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  16:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stick to about 5 days of settling down. I did change the water daily for Blaze and left him a minimum of 4 hours I must say, I really don't think it's an issue, as he's NEVER shown any aggression towards me whatsoever, he's the soppiest snake in the world. I had to break the rule again with Blitz as he was kept in a condition I wouldn't even pass as humane..

He went a bit skitzo, but he's calm as anything now!

I personally think it depends on the snake.. I don't think theyr'e subject to life long stress from being handled quickly..

One advice I can give is keep the handling to a minimum daily.. 5 minutes for a week, then ten, then step it up, but from exprience my snakes get really flity after I've had them out for about 20minutes so, to avoid injury to themselves, I put them back.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000