Think I've got a greedy snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  21:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Just fed Vin, since starting to feed him in his faun he eats much better and tonight he was straight out to see his pinkie, grabbed it and tried to run off with it, sure he swallowed some substrate as well quite worried it'll harm him.

After swallowing his pinkie, he zoomed back to his "plate" and started nosying around. Is he wanting more? I would've sworn the pinkie he ate was leaving a satisfying enough lump and I definately wouldn't want to upgrade to anything bigger, but when do you start feeding two? He's only 18 weeks old

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  21:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are opportunist feeders and would be able to smell the residual scent of the mouse on the tray and would come back to investigate. If there is a good sized lump don't be giving any more food, you really dont want a regurge. You only feed more when there is hardly any lump in the stomach.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  21:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lota, he'll just have to do with one then

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  21:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For now but it wont be long before he moves up, they grow fast.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  21:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't wait! I was holding my breath while he ate, I was sure he'd choke, they seem so big for him! Nothing smaller thou

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  21:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as the mouse at it thickest point is no bigger than 1.5 times the thicness of your snake at its thickest point.

Its incredible watching them eat, truely amazes me each and every time. I've just got a royal and he has just started eating so I get double helpings of amazement every week. Spot is just using up whats left of his small fuzzies and going up to bigger fuzzies, I'm lucky that my rep shop has a range of mice at every possible size and will let me choose my own out of the boxes. I didn't need to worry about double feeding either.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  22:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine were the same last night, they get outside the viv and their normally savage feeders. Thankfully never had them burst the mice YET lol.

Once back in their viv they spend quite some time searching for mice - bit like their on an Easter Egg hunt but then i think they realise they smell food on themselves and have a wash their water then do their normal trick of curling up in their hide on hot side for about 36 hrs. (its something to see 2 5 ft corns having a bath)

Edited by - n/a on 17/02/2011 07:29:59
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  01:43:09  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Barnaby does the same after finishing a mouse, ever hopeful that another is going to miraculously appear in front of him. Lol!

It is amazing to watch him eat, I find it astounding that he can fit his mouth around a small mouse, especially as he's only 7mths old at the most.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000