Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone!
My names Kate, but I go online by the name of Spreebok/Spree!

I'm taking my first steps into reptile keeping on tuesday, as my friends is selling me one of her hatchling corns, as she is downsizing her collection!
I have the choice between a Snow and a Regular, and I must say I'm pretty taken by the Snow! :D

My setup is a Geo with Aspen bedding, and will be heavily padded out with plants and such to make my new baby feel safe and comfortable! He's coming in a small tub, so I'lluse that to feed him in to avoid and ingestion of the bedding.

I have a few small questions to ask, so I hope it's okay if I ask them here!

1. To re-direct the heat back into the tank, I've placed a peice of cardboard wrapped in kitchen foil (shiny side up)under the whole tank, and my heatmat is only covering about 1/3rd to 1/2 of the tank floor. Is that okay, or am I likely to set fire to something xD

2. How deep should the aspen bedding be? I got it spread thinly (but enough to cover) on the warm side, and about maybe 1" thick on the cool side. Is this too much/too little? As I know corns love to burrow :)

3. I have a lot of logs which I used to use in my fish tank until I decided to go for the rocky look, and they have been sat in the hottest part of the airing cupboard for nealry a year now. Would these be okay to use temporarily as extra shelter? I'll be buying more plants and sticks next week, as I have a payment coming in, but I dont want my snake to feel exposed until then :)

Anyway, thanks for having me you all, sorry to bombard you with questions xD

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to add another post, but the edit funtion isn't working for me!

Another quick question!

Coconuts? I use coconut halves to provide shelter and bredd my bristlenose plecs in my fishtank, and I was wondering if, when dried out and a little doorway cut, I could use these as a humid hide? I like to keep things as natural looking as possible, and I dont like to look of plastic tubs. So would these with the spang moss inside be a nice alternative whilst the snakey is small? Or is this a bad idea? If it is I'll use the plastic tubs of course, but if these would eb a nice alternative I'd love to use them!
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome,

I would suggest making sure the logs that were in the fish tank are well disinfected (soak for about 4 hours in 10% bleach solution) and baked in the oven for a bit just to make sure all the nasties are killed.

edit: coconut shells are fine I have used these with no problems, again just make sure they are bug free.

Edited by - gmac on 13/02/2011 15:37:49
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your setup sounds good. I've never used tinfoil for anything (well... except sandwiches) but i cant see it causing any problems.
The bedding and the logs sound ok too - it might be worth giving the logs a quick wash with some weak bleach solution stuff just in case.

Do you have a thermostat and thermometers too?

Edit: oops! G beat me to it

Edited by - Figs on 13/02/2011 15:40:03
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, thankyou for the welcome! :)

Oh yes, they'll be disinfected like mad, I'm a bit OCD with germs haha, I boiled the logs up for about 2 hours before I initially put them in the tank :P

And I'm happy about the coconut shells! Should I pull the hairs off, or are they not a problem?

Edit:
quote:
Do you have a thermostat and thermometers too

I do indeedy! :)

Edited by - Spreebok on 13/02/2011 15:41:04
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Spreebok, and welcome to the forum.

you sound like you have everything pretty much under control, just make sure you have a thermostat on your heatmat and a digi thermometer (to be honests the analogue ones are about as much good as chocolate fireguard)
I have my rubs setup pretty much the same way including the cardboard and foil and everyone is eating, shedding, pooing and growing well and I've not managed to set the house on fire yet
aspen depth sounds fine,

as for you're logs, i'd suggest soaking in a 5% bleach solution for 24hrs and then baking in the oven on a very low light to dry( keep a close eye on this as they can go bang), or dry out over a radiator.

I'm sure some of our more experienced forum members will be along to give further advice.

Oh and don't forget photos of your new arrival are compulsory

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bugger these slow fingers

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome scubadude! :)
I have an analogue one just for the intial setup, but I have ordered a pair of digital ones for when the wiggle acually arrives! :)

I'd double thinking the logs now, I'm not sure I can be bothered doing all the bleach stuff! :P
I've got some silk aquarium plants I never used, would they be fine to use temporarily?
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup the silk plants would be fine

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  16:12:41  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  17:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
yup the silk plants would be fine

Ah, good :)

quote:
hi and welcome to the forum

Thanks Lee :)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  19:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
look forwards to pics

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  19:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome Hannah :)
And yes, pictures will be taken! :D
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  20:10:45  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi!

Welcome to the forum.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  20:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Thistle :)
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  22:19:51  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your little wiggle and set up when you have it all sorted.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  18:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kdlang :)
And yes, there will be pictures. Many, many pictures :P
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  13:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My little wiggler should be coming today, if all goes to plan!
-excited wiggling-
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  13:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, I seemed to have missed this thread so sorry for the late hello :)

How exciting for you, todays the day! Bet you can't wait.

Looking forward to pics (the more the merrier!)
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  20:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the late hello Louise :)
And yes, the little guy arrived yesterday, I've taken some nice pictures, but the camera is acting so I cant get them off right now D:
I can assure you, I am trying my best though :P
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  20:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, thought I should give you some info on this guy! xD
I've named him Lister, after Dave Lister from Red Dwarf, and he's a 6 month old Snow corn! He's lovely, and very well handled previously, he loves being out!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000