lighting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:12:45  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi all, just wondering if corns need uva/uvb bulbs as ive been told that they do but im not so certain tbh, as im thinking of puting a moonlight blue flourescent coloured bulb in my new tank as it already has the fittings for flourescent bulbs.
any help would be greatful.

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Snakes do not require UV lighting to stay healthy in captivity.

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:22:30  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
so it will be ok to put the blue bulb in then (obviously with a guard as i know how hot these tubes get)
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Hatchling

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quite a few people seem to use the moonlight bulbs so they can view their snakes at night, without disturbing the snakes normal, daytime/nightime cycle. And yep don't forget the guard.

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,2.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin,Detritus, Lyssa & Sofia,1.0.0 Spider royal - Anan,1.0.0 Mojave Royal - Ocha,1.0 Butter Royal - Huritt,0.1 Pastel ph ghost - Weeko,0.1 Yellowbelly - Loni,1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech,1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:30:56  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i know, i burnt myself after my m8`s bulb was on for only 5 mins, so i wouldnt even take the chance of having a snake in a tank without a guard and believe me, theres gunna be no way the snake will beable to get to the bulb as im gunna seal the tube in as theres an access flap for it above.
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  16:28:09  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
flouresent isnt good in a snake viv as it flickers at a high hz that we cant really see we debated this a few years ago.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  16:34:11  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Also, seeing as your snake is only little and in a tiny faun you could just light it with a 5 quid torch with mains adaptor/charger from somewhere like maplin.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  17:23:42  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ive just bought a 4ft tank and the flourescent light comes with the tank as it a juwel fish tank and im setting it up over a long period of time and im just getting information on things atm
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  17:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be years before your snake is ready for a 4ft tank!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  21:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

It will be years before your snake is ready for a 4ft tank!

This^^^^^^
If ever.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

testdasi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  21:26:33  Show Profile  Visit testdasi's Homepage  Send testdasi an AOL message  Click to see testdasi's MSN Messenger address  Send testdasi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemypets1988

hi all, just wondering if corns need uva/uvb bulbs as ive been told that they do but im not so certain tbh, as im thinking of puting a moonlight blue flourescent coloured bulb in my new tank as it already has the fittings for flourescent bulbs.
any help would be greatful.

AFAIK, corn snakes do not need UV.
And you don't exactly need lights in the tank to view them either. My Amel is very photogenic and is out even when the room lights are on so no need viewing lights. The creamsicle is lazy and will just hide all the time so you can only see him with torch light shining into the hides. My motley thinks he's a tree snake so he "hides" on the vines close to the top of the faun, seriously almost like a tree python.

=========================
0.1.0 Amel (for sale/trade)
1.0.0 Creamsicle
0.0.1 Q-tip Motley (for sale/trade)

Dreaming for: snow/blizzard.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000