Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cammy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  13:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i have 2 corns male and female normals and they are starting to breed in about 4 to 5 week what should i do if the female lays eggs and how do i keep the eggs alive.

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  13:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I would separate them so there is no chance of breeding.

I don't think you want/need lots of baby corns just yet lol

Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  14:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why do you say that louise? just wondered.

erm..well you would need an incubator. you need to set the eggs in something (like vermiculite) up to a certain point on the egg (i dont know what that point is) unlike bird eggs, NEVER EVER EVER turn the eggs. there is a lot more to it than that but i have never done it. What i can tell you is it is a lot of work and the slightest mistake can scupper it all. Unlike louise i wouldnt tell you not to, what you do with your snakes is your business, but she may have a point in that breeding can present complications that experienced people need to deal with. to be honest im not sure i could do it. good luck with whatever you choose and we will all be here to advise as best we can. :)

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  14:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benji54

why do you say that louise? just wondered.

erm..well you would need an incubator. you need to set the eggs in something (like vermiculite) up to a certain point on the egg (i dont know what that point is) unlike bird eggs, NEVER EVER EVER turn the eggs. there is a lot more to it than that but i have never done it. What i can tell you is it is a lot of work and the slightest mistake can scupper it all. Unlike louise i wouldnt tell you not to, what you do with your snakes is your business, but she may have a point in that breeding can present complications that experienced people need to deal with. to be honest im not sure i could do it. good luck with whatever you choose and we will all be here to advise as best we can. :)

I say that as it's Cammy first ever snakes and he is quite young.

I hope to breed a few of my corns in a few years but only after I have done lots of research first.

Just my opinion but I don't see the point of allowing two snakes to breed if your not really ready for it when the simple option is to separate them.

Also they will all be normals and going by last year with Amels not even selling at £10 a snake he may have trouble getting rid of them.

Edited by - Invalid User on 07/02/2011 14:07:00
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  14:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah fair enough. it is hard to do. i think i could maybe deal with it if it happened but its still something i set out to discourage. i didnt quite get your post to be honest cammy, are you saying that the female is gravid (pregnant) and will lay in 4-5 weeks or will start breeding in 4-5 weeks? a couple of factors to bear in mind...you can reduce the likelihood of breeding by denying the snakes seasonal change (eg keep temps and day/night cycle consistant all year round) also SOME snakes (not all!) just seem to "give up" breeding after a few unsuccesful attempts. One thing to bear in mind is that producing the eggs- whether fertile or not-is extraordinarily draining on the female and can present health concerns for her too. just go easy and good luck!

no idea where you are but ive got a load of spare kit i can sort out for ya if you fancy a trog to maidstone?

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  16:29:46  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cammy, if you did decide to keep the eggs you would have to be prepared that would may have to keep all the babies :( This is going to sound so horrible but I don't mean it too, I had some babies last year and I had to get for the normals to get homes, £5 each and I became very much out of pocket, not great for a student XD Even well known breeders are having some tough times selling off amels and snows :( My girl retained some sperm, most were duds there were a few that looked fertile though and I just chucked them which makes me very sad, I offered petshops them for free and other keeps of reptiles in my area and they didn't want. I currently can't keep any more snakes so it was the only choice I had.

If you do decide to hatch them when she lays, I wish you best of luck and I'm sure many people on here would try and help you.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

cammy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  17:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the last keeper said he had eggs from the female in mid march last year so was wondering if the same thing would happen this year
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  19:16:17  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it seems to me like it is actually the majority that dont brumate. You dont really want eggs if you arent entirely ready cause its bound to be hard work, time consuming, sometimes stressful and usually at a cost atm. There are so many unwanted snakes. :(
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  20:36:55  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if they are in together then you will most likely get eggs. If you want to hatch them out have a search on the forums for how to make an incubator, they're dead easy to make.

Its a great feeling when you see your very first hatchling poking its nose out of an egg. If you're worried about getting stuck with them, your local pet shops are usually the best place to sell them to but you will get less than peanuts for them (I don't think there are any rich corn breeders!)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  21:09:42  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There might not be any really rich ones but have you seem Jamies house, its right posh!! ;)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  22:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a point has been missed here, infact quite a few. Firstly, you dont know what you are doing, that much is clear.
Secondly, you dont know what to do if and when you get eggs, and thirdly, and most importantly, you have no idea what could potentially go wrong, and how to deal with it. Its no good having people tell you things, because unless you have experience with the specific animals, you wont be able to see if there is something wrong.
I know your female is a big girl, i read your other thread, which i refrained for posting on, because i would have been very blunt, however, that does not exclude her from the possibilities such as being egg bound, that on its own will kill her, and if you do see it in time, you could end up with a vets bill north of 300 quid, and even after spending that, she may still die. there are a lot of complications that can come around, some may be only be avoidable by not breeding, others will be entirely your responsibility, and as you are only 13, my guess is your parents will be footing the vets bill, which i can imagine will only happen once, if at all.
Lets just say that you successfully breed, as she is a big girl, you could have 30 eggs +, plus a second clutch, so you could potentially end up with 60 babies, maybe more. Having had 98 baby corns, 25 baby boas, and 4 baby royals last year, i can promise you that its expensive to feed, 30 quid a week just on the baby corns, and that HAS to go on for at least 4 weeks before you can think about selling them.
If you have 50 babies, your looking at near on 60 quid a month, and thats if you buy in bulk from somewhere like TSM, from a shop, that may cost you 4 times more.
I can pretty much guarantee you will only end up with normals, you will be lucky to get a fiver each for them, and the way things are at the moment, they will eat that before they sell. I still have a butter motley, ghost het bloodred and anery motleys from May last year, thats how hard they are to sell, not only that but i have another 30 babies in a shop on sale or return.

So to sum it up, you need to be prepared to pay anything north of 300 quid if it goes wrong, and there is no reason for it not to.
Thats no guarantee, however, i guarantee you that those babies will eat a lot of money, and unless you work full time, you cant afford that.
On top of that, you may end up with a lot of babies left over, which you might not even be able to GIVE away, so you are gonna have to house them and heat them too.
Also, on top of that, baby corns MUST be kept separate, from as close to out of the egg as possible, its one thing keeping adults together, and totally something else keeping babies together.
So, you end up with 30 babies, a wholly reasonable number, especially from a big girl, you then have to house 30 babies individually, and feed them, and heat them, and sell them, once you have bought all the extra stuff to cater for them, you are severely out of pocket, well, your parents are anyway.
AND, once the female has laid her eggs, ideally just after the female has been mated, she should, for her own health, be separated from the male, on a semi permanent basis.
If you dont do this, i can promise you that the male will hound her, as far as he is concerned its breeding season, he isnt fussy, and doesnt know that female from any other, he will force himself on her again and again, she WILL get bored of it and stressed, which means she most likely will not feed, and if she is gonna double clutch, she needs to get as much food down her as possible to regain lost nutrients and calcium from the first batch so she can produce healthy eggs the second time.
If she is left with the male, he will stress her to the point she wont eat in that time, and that will most likely kill her.
I had 2 females last year refuse to feed after the first clutch, both doubled and both died after.

This lot may sound like i am trying to put you off or scare you, but, as scary as it may sound, its the truth, its reality, and i really dont think you are prepared for the possible outcome either way.

In all seriousness, if i was you, and i have been there, i would either immeadiately separate the pair, or sell either one, probably the female as she WILL sell now.

Another thing, i am disappointed that nothing i have written was mentioned by anyone else, on this thread and your other one.
It seems that the people who knew anything about this sort of thing have lost interest, i cant imagine why.

Go to Top of Page

cammy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  22:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all i asked was what do i do with the eggs once they are laid? i dont want to keep them i have no intention of breeding them ..i just want to know what to do.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  22:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are missing the point. re read it, and think about it.

Go to Top of Page

cammy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  22:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh yeah...ive read it! but i dont want to keep them so what do i do with unwanted eggs?
Go to Top of Page

cammy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  22:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive decided it too much like hard work ..ive got the snakes i wanted i need to learn how to keep these first before tackling eggs lol..will they be of any use to anyone else at all?
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  22:59:44  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

I can pretty much guarantee you will only end up with normals, you will be lucky to get a fiver each for them, and the way things are at the moment, they will eat that before they sell. I still have a butter motley, ghost het bloodred and anery motleys from May last year, thats how hard they are to sell, not only that but i have another 30 babies in a shop on sale or return.

Another thing, i am disappointed that nothing i have written was mentioned by anyone else, on this thread and your other one.
It seems that the people who knew anything about this sort of thing have lost interest, i cant imagine why.

I said it XD not the detail you did though I'll admit that!

You could try a good repshop, some incubate the eggs and spilt any money if they make money off them with you once hatched. I just shook my eggs up and binned them outside.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  23:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, would like to point out that I did say exactly what you have said in my replies! :)
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  23:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Mike, would like to point out that I did say exactly what you have said in my replies! :)

I was actually gonna say you and stapey, but i got lost in the moment!!
Sorry!!!

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  23:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cammy

ive decided it too much like hard work ..ive got the snakes i wanted i need to learn how to keep these first before tackling eggs lol..will they be of any use to anyone else at all?

then get them separated, having eggs is not a choice you make, unless you separate them.
You cant put the male off, give it a few years and you will understand.

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  23:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said all round Mike! did i just send you an email there by the way? i dont think it worked..

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  00:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I havent had an email from you no. my email in my profile should work, although you wont be the first that has tried and failed! something weird with my email i think.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000