gettin really annoyed with myself!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  22:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i posted on here a few weeks ago because i had a very bitey corn snake and was given he advice to leave him to settle in which i have done only opening his viv for spot cleans feedin and change of water. the other night i decided enough is enough and went to fetch him out but he was very quick to get away and then flew the length of the viv to strike at me (the pain doesnt bother me its just the fact of how much it makes me jump lol) hes around ten inches long but im not sure of his age hes in a two feet viv (constantly between 27 and 30 degrees) and he has dark spots to hide in (which to be honest he rarely comes out of) im just worried that a. ive managed to get myself the one rare untameable corn snake or b. im doing something wrong (apart from being a jumpy bitch when he strikes lol)

HELP PLEASE

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  22:08:06  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He will grow out of it I'm sure :) I had a bitey hatchling...would always go for me but I would just pick it up and handle it so it got used to it. 6 months later, it didn't bite.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  22:30:33  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are a few reasons that your corn could be so nervous and grumpy. He could be due to shed which is renowned for making them turn into grumps, many people don't even attempt to handle their snakes during this time because of this. Another reason could be that his viv is too big, especially if he is a nervous snake, which yours seems to be. At only only 10inches long, a 2ft viv is a massive space for him. I would be tempted to try moving him into a small faun or rub that he will feel more secure in, it will also be easier for you to catch him in one of these rather than the viv.

Corn snake bites do not hurt especially hatchling corns, such as yours, which would be unlikely to even break the skin. In the wild many things eat hatchling corns, which is why they feel safer in small areas and why they tend to be bitey, they see us as a threat. At the moment striking at you is working, you hesitate, give up and leave him alone, which is what he wants. Just go for it, pick him up swiftly, gently but securely and ignore it if he bites you (I know, easier said than done, it's difficult not to jump). He will soon realise that striking at you and biting doesn't work and will give it up. And, in time he will get more used to being handled by you and realise you are not going to eat him.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  23:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you feed it inside the Viv? Maybe the hatchling is thinking your food, or trying to take his territory where he gets food. I always feed my corn in a seperate tank. It may not make a difference, but who knows could be the trigger.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  23:51:21  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
he's only a baby, and thats what baby corns do. 99% of them will grow out of the "everything wants to eat me so I have to bite it" thing :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

CSN
Hatchling

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  00:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a baby, corns dont like been handled but with time they learn to tolerate it. so keep at it and it will learn to love ya :)

0.1.0 Karma - Creamsicle
0.1.0 Precious - Royal

http://www.TCS-Chat.tk
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  08:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thistle

There are a few reasons that your corn could be so nervous and grumpy. He could be due to shed which is renowned for making them turn into grumps, many people don't even attempt to handle their snakes during this time because of this. Another reason could be that his viv is too big, especially if he is a nervous snake, which yours seems to be. At only only 10inches long, a 2ft viv is a massive space for him. I would be tempted to try moving him into a small faun or rub that he will feel more secure in, it will also be easier for you to catch him in one of these rather than the viv.

Corn snake bites do not hurt especially hatchling corns, such as yours, which would be unlikely to even break the skin. In the wild many things eat hatchling corns, which is why they feel safer in small areas and why they tend to be bitey, they see us as a threat. At the moment striking at you is working, you hesitate, give up and leave him alone, which is what he wants. Just go for it, pick him up swiftly, gently but securely and ignore it if he bites you (I know, easier said than done, it's difficult not to jump). He will soon realise that striking at you and biting doesn't work and will give it up. And, in time he will get more used to being handled by you and realise you are not going to eat him.

Spot on, exactly the problem.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  20:21:26  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if he has plenty of space to hide away (NOT just the usual 'recomended' single hide each end) a 2' viv is fine.

I don't see a problem, just a corn being a corn

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  23:17:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A top tip I was given when I first got my corn was to always hold your hand out flat as you move towards te snake to pick it up. If you 'tip toe' into the tank with your fingers spread with snake thinks it's being fed. Has always worked with my girl. I've never used an actual hide in my viv. I put a large log at the warm end that she can hide behind, and similar large water bowl in the cool end. She's a very gregarious and happt snake. The only time she's ever been stressed is when I've moved her into a new home. She definately does not like new substrate. She is always happier with familiar smells.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000