A couple of questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

testdasi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  09:12:28  Show Profile  Visit testdasi's Homepage  Send testdasi an AOL message  Click to see testdasi's MSN Messenger address  Send testdasi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Are corn snakes becoming less active as they get older?
I put up my night vision camera last night again and the bigger snake spent barely 45 minutes exploring while the smaller ones were constanly pacing around.

Previously when I only have 1 snake, my digital thermometer reads 89-ish (probe on top of 1cm substrate) while I set the stat at 84 (probe on <0.5cm substrate) and the snake prefered the cool side.
Now I have 3 snakes, the same therm reads 84-ish (probe inside the hide, on top of floor) while I set the stat at 88 (probe on top of floor) and the snakes prefer the warm side.
Should I be concerned or change anything?

=========================
0.1.0 Amel (for sale/trade)
1.0.0 Creamsicle
0.0.1 Q-tip Motley (for sale/trade)

Dreaming for: snow/blizzard.

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  12:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Hatchlings are more active than adult snakes.

2) More information about your setup is needed on this, no way of knowing what the problem is or if there is one.

(gets out converter to read oldtimer temps)

89oF (32oC) is bordering on too hot. I aim for a gradient of 68oF (20oC) in the cold end to 82oF (28oC) in the hot end. Other than that if you give more info about your setup I'm sure we will be able to help.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  11:00:50  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All snakes are different, some are riggly buggers and some are lazy :D lmao

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  11:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 female adult corns - 10 yrs old and they both fluctuate between been seriously manically active to completly lazy devils. They are currently enjoying a hollow log way too much for my liking. I need a shoe horn to get them out lol
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  12:46:18  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Adult snakes are normally slower than hatchlings, although this shouldn't be mistaken for being less active. Adult snakes can be very active. It all depends on the individual snake.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  13:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 5 corns all under 2 years old and 4 of them are active morning and evening but hide away the rest of the time.

1 of them is much more active and I see her quite a few times during the day just having a little mooch around :)

I guess they are all different.
Go to Top of Page

testdasi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  19:16:30  Show Profile  Visit testdasi's Homepage  Send testdasi an AOL message  Click to see testdasi's MSN Messenger address  Send testdasi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! I just wanted to make sure everything is alright. Fed my Amel just now and she ate fine which is great! And the fat one just moved from the warm side to the cool side (and is sleeping right now!).

I'm still trying to figure out a good feeding schedule so that I always have at least 1 snake handle-able.

=========================
0.1.0 Amel (for sale/trade)
1.0.0 Creamsicle
0.0.1 Q-tip Motley (for sale/trade)

Dreaming for: snow/blizzard.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000