basking stones
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  23:09:20  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
can you use the same stones that you use in fish tank - like the white marble type of rocks - in your vivarium, both for decoration and practical use

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  23:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct me if i am wrong, but stones are pretty much stones, you dont necessarily get special ones for your fish tank.
they tell you they are special, then charge you 20 quid a kilo, but they arent that special, generally the only difference is they have been polished and sorted so they look 'pretty'.
there is a downside to using any stones, and that is that they absorb heat extremely well, and retain heat just aswell, so it makes heating a bit of an issue, especially with stats, it can cause some confusion, and the posibility of the bottom ones getting very very hot.

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  23:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stones for a fish tank may have some advantages, such as having smooth edges and for fish it is important that the stone will not leech any chemicals into the water - but for the snake, as long as any usual stone is not too pointy or sharp and you disinfect it first, it shouldn't be a problem unless it causes issues with the heat mat as said above, perhaps just using them on the cool end? My snakey loves exploring new things, perhaps I will pick some up next time I'm on the beach :)

zan x
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  23:41:10  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im not gunna use the stones for basking, its just that the stones that are usualy used in fish tanks are quite rough and some are slightly jaged, and they reflect light very wel to highlight the inside of a tank without disturbing the fish, i was just wondering if i can use them for decorational purposes mostly, the only practical side to having them in the viv is to use as a proper rock cave without buying artifical ones
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  00:23:05  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The only place I would say to never use them is in a leo tank.
I had leos eating the things once when I tried them.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  00:32:46  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks kehhlyr, it will with my milk to start off with as a trial and if it goes ok, i will use it for a corn - when i get 1 lol
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  01:03:45  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There's no point in considering anything as a substrate until you get a stat sorted.
A heatmat that's unstat'd will turn the stones into hotrocks in no time with an unstat'd mat. Seriously get the stat before you think about doing anything else.
I would seriously not even bother turning the mat on until you do, keep the rub/faun/viv somewhere out of draughts and don't feed and it'll be fine at room temp for a few days.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  01:15:02  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im going to have a look at a stat 2moz in the local rep shop, the rocks wont be used as a substrate, just a cave area on top of the substrate at the cool end, the stat is also on top of my list of things to get and i intend on getting 1 as soon as i can, dont worry, im not gunna forget about that, im just getting ideas for a viv later on, for future referrence thas all
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000