desperate help with a bad shed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  18:43:21  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address
hi guys, im in dyer need of help with a bad shed, his hd section has come off but just past his head, its broken off and the peeling, ive tried the bath and towel trick but im worried about what to do, any help plz

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  18:52:29  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address
Put a damp hide in his viv. Put the water in the warm end. Try to towel again tomorrow. It might take a day or two to work but try not to panic!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  18:53:59  Show Profile
if not, someone (i ALWYS forget who!!) put up a fantastic, illustrated, step by step post to using "shed ease" or similar on here and on every sister forum. check it out, its epic! good luck and dont panic! :)

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  18:57:32  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address
i forgot to mention the fact that i dont currently have a stat and so the mat is rarely on (an hr in the morning and an hr before i go to bed), so using most tips would be useless for this reason
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  20:44:32  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemypets1988

i forgot to mention the fact that i dont currently have a stat and so the mat is rarely on (an hr in the morning and an hr before i go to bed), so using most tips would be useless for this reason

I would still add a damp hide, any extra moisture will help him and he may prefer to go into a damp hide rather than the water or a dry hide.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  20:50:34  Show Profile
be very careful if you are bathing as you have no way of knowing the temps so the bath may either be too hot or too cold, neither of which is any good for your corn.

check the health section for the shedeaze thread by sexychef as Benji mentioned, as its the only option you really have without potentially damaging your snake.

also do not feed your snake untill you have a stat, it wont be able to digest.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  20:51:35  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemypets1988

In that case I wouldn't feed the snake at all until you get a stabilised temperature in there.
Without adequate heating there is a large chance that the food wont digest in the snakes stomach, it'll rot and start decomposing instead, that is not nice to see.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  22:23:27  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address
yh i bet, thas probably what i mistaken for regurge last time, but ive just "unwrapped" him and his tail came off easy, but theres some left, i did bath him first but the temp was abwt a slightly warm feeling to the touch, thanx all and i will be getting a stat on wed
Go to Top of Page

GillyDuncan
50% warning

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  22:28:05  Show Profile
Are you aware of the issues that can arise from helping to peel a snake?

Surely the serpent will bite without enchantment; and a babbler is no better.
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  22:29:36  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address
no i dont unfortunatley, but his shed was bad, its been the same for acouple of days
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  23:46:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GillyDuncan

Are you aware of the issues that can arise from helping to peel a snake?

Please enlighten us, for i very much doubt that you are right.

As for not having a stat, and even worse, leaving the heatmat off for most of the day, thats just stupid, bordering on moronic.
I assume you are aware that in this country the temperatures are not warm enough for a corn to properly regulate its body temperature?? not only that but it also means its most likely not warm enough to digest its food, so its probably just as well that it did regurge, otherwise you would be looking at septicemia, and a very dead snake.
Do your snake a favour and get a decent stat as soon as you can, failing that, let some responsible person look after it while you sort yourself out.

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  23:53:22  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address
even though i ont have a stat, the snake is practically on the pc, so the faun is actually warm, i would never hust leave it in a cold spot, im not stupid and i certainly would never bring any harm to the snake, infact the room temp alone never drops below 23c, infact its more often about 26c. p.s. theres no need to be so rude!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  00:02:04  Show Profile
23 degrees?? you think thats ok? even 26 is on the low side for digestion.
p.s sometimes there is, otherwise people just dont get the message.

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  00:08:33  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address
not me accually, theres no need what so ever to be rude with me, as far as im concerned, people are only rude due to there own insecurities and f.y.i., in the wild the temperature is ever constant, so snakes can cope with temperature variants, due to the seasons and atmosphere, so dont get stropey with me and tell me about temps, they come from america and usually in the fasinity of a place called hurricane valley, and even though the temp is often around 27 - 30c, the accual air temp is more likely to drop as low as 15c.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  00:18:27  Show Profile
its spelt Vacinity. and you probably mean its NEVER constant, but i not 100% certain.
I know what the weather does, i know how it changes, i know they come from America, however, i didnt know they only came from the Facinity of hurricane Valley, i always thought they spread from areas such as Miami, Nevada, up to the further reaches of CAROLINA, and even further than that, silly me.

You have just perfectly demonstrated your lack of knowledge. If you knew anything, you would be aware that corns generally, GENERALLY are only active in the early morning, and late evening, dusk and dawn, and they like to get their body heat from rocks, roads, or any warm patches, they dont rely on air temperature like tropical snakes do.
The problem you have is that you OVERALL temps are too low, a little research would have told you that, temps that are too low cause problems with digestion, again, research. I seem to be repeating myself a bit here, RESEARCH. you cant go far wrong with reading a book or two.

F.Y.I, i am not always rude, only with stupid people.

Incidentally, i didnt get stropey, or stroppy for that matter, but i think i just did tell you about temps, you could do worse than pay attention.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  00:20:57  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000