Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2011 :  00:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What exactly are your mum's concerns about another snake? Is it a concern about another snake or about a boa specifically? I know when we got our first, one thing that H (10 - the mini-herper) had to consider is that snakes live a long time, so who was going to be responsible for it when she headed off for college / uni, 'cause she wouldn't be able to take it with her. TBH I'm happy to look after the kids animals when they're away but I wanted her to realise that she had to think in terms of decades, not months.

I know you're older than her so maybe your mum is still worried about being in a position where she has to look after a boa if / when you leave home. A lot of people hear 'boa' and think '18 foot anaconda', and don't realise what is and isn't involved. Maybe if you explain exactly what you have planned for the next few years, what your intentions would be should you suddenly decide that you want to move to Australia, who would look after it if you weren't able to for whatever reason. Print off a care sheet so she can see what the care differences are between your corn and a boa, probably not as much as she thinks

Personally I wouldn't just move the snake in and hope for the best. Even though you'd probably get away with it, it would damage the level of trust between you and your mum, and that's something very hard to get back afterward One thing tho, does your mum know what a boa looks like? You could just say another dwarf snake and not actually point out in words of one syllable that it's a boa. Like I said, a lot of ppl hear the word 'boa' and think 'man eating monster'!

HTH!

0.0.1 Amel (Omari)
1.1 Leopard Geckos (Tychondrious and Cleopatra)
0.2 Chocolate Labs (Millie and Lucy) 0.1 Weimaraner (Suzi)
1.0 Cat (Thomas)
2.1 Children plus 1.0 squatting nephew
no more Bovines
and 1.0 husband!
Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  13:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hahaha this made me chuckle, I am a mum, but it is my husband I have to convince. I have just moved Luna in to a 2ft viv and have left the empty faunarium on the top just so he gets used to it being there... for when my next snake comes home... i did think about sneeing some chickens into the back garden but figured i wouldn't get away with that for very long. I can see his point we have a vast amount of animals and he only ever agreed to the first one lol.. hope it goes well for you..

0.0.1 Amel Corn CB10 Luna
1.0.0 Orchid Corn CB08 Mizuki
0.1.0 Hypo Corn CB10 Hala
0.1.0 Normal het lav CB09 Neona
1.2.0 Normal Royals, Jericho, Eclipse and Monday

and various other critters including, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a hamster, a gerbil, 3 fish, 1 husband and 3 daughters :-)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000