[Newbie]After feeding questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

testdasi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  22:07:30  Show Profile  Visit testdasi's Homepage  Send testdasi an AOL message  Click to see testdasi's MSN Messenger address  Send testdasi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My corn Bo just ate his first meal. Please bear with my noob-ish. Summary:

• I very gently and slowly close the feeding tank and then put it up over the heat mat.

• The feeding tank is plastic and designed such that the 2 ends are not in contact with the heat mat, only the center part. 1 end I put fake vegetation as "hide". The other side is the water bowl. Center (where contact with heat mat) is a hide with about 1cm paper towel substrate.

• I cover the room-facing side of the tank with cloth to keep it darker inside but he will still be able to tell the changes in light. Also not to scare/distract him when I walk around.

• After about 20 minutes on his own, I checked the feeding tank and he was nowhere to be seen so I think he's under the hide with the pinkie.

My questions are as followed:

• Should I just leave him alone (not even checking on him) for 48 hours? What if for any reason, he regurgitated?

• How easy does a corn snake get spooked enough to regurgitate? Mine was hatched in July last year.

• How mobile is a corn after swallowing a pinkie? Can he still move to thermo regulate?

=========================
0.1.0 Amel (for sale/trade)
1.0.0 Creamsicle
0.0.1 Q-tip Motley (for sale/trade)

Dreaming for: snow/blizzard.

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  22:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you planning on leaving him in the feeding tub?

Heat mat doesn't go in the middle it goes at one end so the other end is the cool end.

My feeding tub is a small empty tub, I a single piece of paper towel in the bottom pop the snake in, pop the pinkie in and he eats it, once its down into his stomach i put him gently back in his vivarium. No need to heat the feeding tub as he'll only be in there about 20 minutes at the most.

I then leave him 48 hours and only do the daily spot checking and water change. They are mobile enough to do what they need to do.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 02/02/2011 22:27:29
Go to Top of Page

razza
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  08:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im with lotabob, i just use a small empty tub with kitchen roll in bottom. and after the feed wait for food to reach the stomach and then gently put him back in to his viv. i also check everyday when changing water just to make sure everything is ok.

1.0.0 50% carolina 25% amel 25% rootbeer
0.0.1 creamsicle ?
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  09:29:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also do as above. My snakes go into a small plastic tub with a piece of kitchen paper in. I don't heat the feeding tub.

After they have swallowed the mouse I wait until it is about half way down the body of the snake then either gently pick them up and pop them back into their propper home or sometimes I just hold the feeding tub over the home and let them slide in on their own.

I have a quick check the next day when I change the water. If their was a regurge I'm sure you would smell it as I have heard it stinks!

Even though they have a fully belly they can still move around but will usually hide away on the warm side while their meal digests.

Hope that helps. Any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000