Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

new_snake_2011
Egg

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  06:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning all.

So I have Cora in a small glass fish tank with a glass lid.

I was wondering, where do I go to see other set ups to get some ideas? I have bark sub, a leafy fake plant and a water bowl.

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  08:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay so what about the rest of your set up? Thermostat? Digital thermometer? Hot end temps?

You don't mention any hides? Is there any ventilation?

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  10:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya, lots of setups in this thread here.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6324&SearchTerms=setups

This one is also very good and I set up my first snakes faunarium just like this.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

Edited by - Invalid User on 29/01/2011 10:30:05
Go to Top of Page

new_snake_2011
Egg

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  14:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello

Here is her set up....

I don't have a thermostat yet, I want to buy a microclimate 100. But I could find one in the shops today :( looking at online shops that offer next day delivery.

I received a little stick on thermometer and the is reading 22/23c on the outside (as this is where it has been stuck). Would buying a digital be better?

I have just bought a snake rock hide and then a leafy thing, as I said in my original post :D

There is ventilation stripe at the bacck of the tank, the whole width of it, covered with a mesh.

Becky

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  14:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get my microclimate 100's off ebay. They are quite a good price with next day delivery.

I would say defo go get a digital thermometer. Those strips are rubbish and will not give you an acurate reading. Again, I get mine off ebay for a couple of quide each. Your hot end needs to be around 28c.

You have the same plant my Nimbus has, he loves it and also uses it to help him shed :)

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  14:49:52  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That thermometer is reading 22/23c because its not measuring were the heat source is heating. With no way of controling or even monitoring how hot it is getting it may be best to keep your heatmat switched off. But you need to get a stat and a digi therm as soon as.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

new_snake_2011
Egg

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  15:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I tried to buy one today, but will be ordering from ebay. Hopefully for delivery on Tuesday.

Go to Top of Page

new_snake_2011
Egg

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  15:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just purchased both things. Fingers crossed for Tuesday.

Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  15:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool. yeah digis are much better than stick on ones, especially because of their accuracy and because you can move it around to probe different areas and gain readings. a very good way to spend £15. setup looks okay, minus the prediscussed heat and stat requirements... all i would say is she has A LOT of places to hide! you'll be lucky to see her! :) good luck with everything!

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"

Edited by - Benji54 on 29/01/2011 15:14:35
Go to Top of Page

new_snake_2011
Egg

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  16:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Inkygirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
256 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  17:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya welcome to the forum. sounds as though your getting there. my carolina corn snake is also called Cora :D xx

1 Bearded Dragon, Gino
1 Terrapin, Tulip
1 Iguana, Edward
3 Corns Cora, Travis,Leon
and Angus
1 Normal Royal Python, Lexi
1 Boa Constrictor, Zara
1 Granite Burmese Python Bernie

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  18:12:26  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To be honest you really shouldnt of got the snake until you had the complete set up and you knew what to buy,the mat its going to get very hot without a thermostat and having it on the outside of the glass will probably crack the bottom with the heat and if you put it inside without a stat you risk serious injurys to the snake,i dont mean to sound that im having a go at you as lot of new owners dont get the right info and im just telling you as it is.

Edited by - lee2308 on 29/01/2011 18:36:28
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  18:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with Lee, it is a little irresponsible gettin a snake and THEN asking for the "expert advise".

However, at least you have asked and are willing to take advise. Stat is a must. Once you have the stat then I would put mat inside. And the exo terra digital thermometers are great, about £8 online. The strip on the glass really is useless, you might aswell guess the temp. Lol.

Let us know how you get on.

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

MickyB
Egg

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  18:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ideally you should of done the research first but if i were you id buy a faun for like £12 id follow the sticky 101 that will tell you everything
Go to Top of Page

MickyB
Egg

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  18:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and surrey pet suopplies is good value, google it
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  19:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as per Lees comments on the damage an unstatted mat can do I would turn the mat off, the risks of leaving it on are too much in my opinion, and hope your stat turns up on Tuesday.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  19:35:16  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

as per Lees comments on the damage an unstatted mat can do I would turn the mat off, the risks of leaving it on are too much in my opinion, and hope your stat turns up on Tuesday.

just to add if you do turn the mat off do not feed during this time and just keep it in the warmest room in the house.

Go to Top of Page

new_snake_2011
Egg

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  06:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased the whole set up from a snake shop. Not pets at home or the likes. I believed that what I bought was all I needed. I came on here and asked about ideas for the set up, its only then that someone said about a stat. Even the 'kits' don't mention it or have one in there.

I chose a glass tank do to its weight, I have 6 cats (3 are bonkers kittens!) and a toddler, the last thing I wanted was the snake to be knocked off the side. The snake is currently living in my kitchen so my toddler cant not have access to it, but I want to move it to my living room.

I am trying to correct my mistake asap, I went out yesterday but couldn't buy what I need, my stat and digi are being delivery special delivery so will be here on Tuesday.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  11:11:19  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thats good news,thats the problem,alot of shops dont mention stats as it puts the price up and then puts people off buying snake as it all costs to much.I can see where your coming from with the glass and weight theory,maybe when he gets bigger get him a wooden viv as they hold heat alot more better and are more enclosed might be a good idea to cover 3 sides on the tank with something to make the snake feel more secure and also the roof it that is clear.

Go to Top of Page

new_snake_2011
Egg

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  11:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of covering the glass as it goes :D. I have every intention of getting a wooden viv when she is bigger. I have however moved her to my living room, which is the warmest room in the house. I have the tank on top of the heat mat which inturn is on a slate tile, so it is holding the heat on the floor.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  16:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its common knowledge to everyone that has bought their first snake that the people who sell snakes in shops don't know much. Its really annoying as its the first place you will go for information and lots of people are caught out by this practice of selling the minimum setup possible. It gives a false idea of the cost involved, puts the snake in danger, and lands the owner with a huge secondary bill for equipment they didn't even know was needed. The lucky few find a forum like this before and have a better idea of whats what but even then the shops can still talk you out of something you know is needed (I had an experience like this with the royal). To throw the blame solely on the shoulders of the new snake owner is slightly missing the point and not addressing the problem, I agree more research is needed for new owners before they even think of taking a snake home but shops make it seem oh so simple just to shift the stock and knock off half the equipment to keep it within an impulse buy limits. I don't understand it myself as its probably about an extra £50 tops to get everything you need.

edited - gmac

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - gmac on 30/01/2011 17:07:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000