New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shaunrp78
Egg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  19:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my corn has not eaten for a few weeks but was told told 3 weeks is nothing to worry about.the people i had it off have been feeding it large mice but rarely eats it.ive tried it today on hoppers and it ate and love them.is it ok for me to give hoppers and is 2 enough?i did get a chick because they said it loves them but didnt give it after reading that its not advisable because it dont have the correct nutrients.its about 18 month old.also is there a way you can tell the sex without probing?i dont want to cause any distress.im a beginner at keeping snakes and loving every minute.was losing sleep over the not eating.lol.im one of lifes worryers i suppose.lol

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  20:23:12  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You must be really pleased that your snake has eaten! That's great. Now you need to gradually get him up to a mouse that's one and a half times the size of his girth at the widest part. No need to rush it, you don't want to put him off eating again. Give him a hooper every 5 days for a few times then double up and see if he'll take two. If he does that's great. Then you could move up a size and so on until he's eating the correct size at which point you could decrease his feeds to every 7 days. Just keep an eye on him and ask if you have any worries, we're here to help each other if we can. Meant to add that probing might be the best way to sex your snake, he might be too old for popping. Is it essential that you know his sex? Not sure if I'd want mine done just out of curiosity....

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 27/01/2011 20:25:21
Go to Top of Page

shaunrp78
Egg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  08:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for your reply.i dont think il get it sexed coz it is just for curiosity.im not experienced enough to try breeding.maybe in a few years.im over the moon that hes eating.he ate 2 hoppers yesterday no probs.shall igive 2 every 5 days or 7?or do the 7 days just apply when i move up a size?whats your advice on chicks?im getting alot of mixed messages.should i feed them or not or only when hes not eating?sorry to ask so many questions,i did a lot of research on the web but i think someone with experience is worth a lot more.
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  08:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what you have written I gather you have already given him 2 hoppers on one feed?

How much bigger are the large mice you were trying to feed? I suspect they were too big. Between hoppers and large mice are small and medium so its quite a jump.

I have got an 18 month old corn who is 350g and takes 1 jumbo every 10 days. But yours may be smaller.

As regards to probing, I did my king snake myself last week under a snake experts supervision and it was very simple and didn't seem to cause any distress whatsoever.

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

shaunrp78
Egg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  12:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi gaz.yes i gave him 2 hoppers in 1 feed and ate them fine.the mice i was giving him,or should i say the last owner,was about the size of 2 hoppers.is that a large mouse?it will not touch it.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  13:34:23  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As long as the mouse size isn't over one and a half times the snakes girth, at the widest part it should be ok. If it's already eaten chicks and is happy with them you could try scenting the mouse by rubbing it all over with a chick before offering it to the snake. Mice are much better for the snake than chicks so get him feeding on mice if you can, even if it means giving extra hoppers rather than larger mice!

Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

shaunrp78
Egg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  17:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi herriotfan.so you think giving him a couple of hoppers are ok for while do you?if so,how often do you think?last owner kept to 7 days with the mouse but im not sure do i give hoppers every 5 days.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  20:22:52  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If the hoppers don't leave much of a bump then I'd probably feed every 5 days as long as he digests them ok and is pooing before you offer the next meal. Get some of the next size up and if he's doing ok by the time the hoppers run out then try him on the next size. Hpefully he will have established feeding enough by then to take whatever you offer, as long as it's not much too big!

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000