Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jamie6125
Egg

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  10:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I've been keeping corns for a year or so and have been here on the forum before
I have 5 corns and a milk snake. I use heat mats and thermostats in all may viv ( they all live seperatly) my temps are all correct but the viv in general seems coldish my corns show no signs of distress and are really happy. Is it more the temp on the mat that's important than the general viv? The cold side seems a lot colder. I feel the mat isn't heating the whole warm side just the floor. But the snakes do use both warm and cold sides so i think all is ok.

Many thanks

Jamie

REX - charcoal corn
ALBIE - albino/snow corn
GIZMO - miami?
Bestie - copper/grey (escapee)
Rose - candycane
Amber- bloodred motley
MOLLY - dog
SARAH - rat

JACK AND GEORGIA - children

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  11:06:22  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty new to corn snakes and this forum, but from what I've read on here heat mats are only supposed to heat the floor not the entire viv. As long as the temp of the heat mat are ok, if the snakes get cold they can sit on top of their mats to warm up.

It sounds like your set up is fine and your snakes are perfectly happy.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  11:09:55  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamie6125

Hi

I've been keeping corns for a year or so and have been here on the forum before
I have 5 corns and a milk snake. I use heat mats and thermostats in all may viv ( they all live seperatly) my temps are all correct but the viv in general seems coldish my corns show no signs of distress and are really happy. Is it more the temp on the mat that's important than the general viv? The cold side seems a lot colder. I feel the mat isn't heating the whole warm side just the floor. But the snakes do use both warm and cold sides so i think all is ok.

Many thanks

Jamie

hi jamie.

a mat only heats what it in contact with it will make very little/no change to ambiant temp etc. the cold end is what it is i think my corns cold end is about to 20oc mark this time of year, but shes happily out an about an uses both ends. so i wouldnt worry about

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

jamie6125
Egg

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  13:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks guys

I though it was fine but just double checking

Jamie

REX - charcoal corn
ALBIE - albino/snow corn
GIZMO - miami?
Bestie - copper/grey (escapee)
Rose - candycane
Amber- bloodred motley
MOLLY - dog
SARAH - rat

JACK AND GEORGIA - children
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  19:54:41  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi jamie, corn and milk snakes are cold blooded so they need to thermoregulate in order to stay fit and healthy and to digest there food and in order to do this, they need a varience in temperature in there habitats, so a heat mat is designed with this in mind, it only warms up a small amount of the viv and only at the end of the viv, which the mat is situated, but also leave a less temperatured area in the viv, so that the snake can alter its temperature according to the snakes needs, this is also why alot of people and pro`s will recogmend that you have 2 hide per snake - 1 at each end of the viv (1 in the warm zone and the other in the cool), so that the snake can hide and still beable to vary its own temp.

sorry if this is abit long winded. lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000