Unusual hatchling behaviour
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  20:09:11  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I am sure my Lacey is healthy, she has eaten and pooped perfectly, but in the time I have been looking at snakes all hatchlings I have seen have been super speedy and super jumpy. My little Lacey is the complete opposite, she is very confident but she is so calm and slow all the time. So slow that I can put her on my bed or the floor and leave her for like 5 minutes and she will have a little wander and a nosey but she wont go far or very fast, and she isnt ever jumpy, even if I move really suddenly she just sits still. This is wonderful to see her like this but its not how I have seen any hatchling behave. I am confused, she seems healthy and I know they all have very different personalities but she is unusually relaxed.

Do you have any idea why this might be? Or could she just be very sleepy and nice and calm?

Thanks for reading guys. :)
Tiffany-x

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  20:27:39  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nothin to worry about at all :) some at work are always trying to bite and are veryquick then some are chill and fast :) sounds sad but yes snakes have diffrent personalitys :)

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  20:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She could be just a very chilled out little snake, Spot is exactly the same, very calm but believe me there is a huge different between being calm and being slow, Spot has an amazing turn of speed when he wants to, he's only done it twice in the 3 months I've had him but boy can he shift.

A quick thing to check and I'm almost sure with the knowledge you have that you'd have thought of this already but are your temperatures OK, if she is cold she will be slow.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 27/12/2010 20:31:19
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  20:38:01  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know they do, but I just thought I should ask because I have seen like 3 or 4 breeders and held a good few hatchies at each and then I also held some at a couple of shops and stuff, they havent ever been as chilled as my Lacey. She is such a lazy little monster, I just wanted to check that she was certainly ok. Im glad its just her being herself though, she is also so confident. I love my girl! Thanks. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  20:39:14  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh no, my temperatures are always fine, I am always checking them, and she spends a good fair amount of time in both warm and cool ends. :)
Tiffany-x

Edited by - Tiffany-x on 27/12/2010 20:40:12
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  20:50:47  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nothing to worry about :)

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  21:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew your temps would be fine. You've just a well behaved little snake.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

rick1894
Egg

90 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  22:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When i picked diego, i chose the one that looked most chilled and less jumpy so hopefully is like your Lacey ;)
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2010 :  09:15:49  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Honestly she is a dream, I also just swoop in in front of her to pick her up and she doesnt flinch, cause I did it a couple of times by accident, arent snakes supposed to hate this? :P The only time that she goes funny when I put my hand in is after feeding, she looks as if to say mummy just leave me alone I ate far too much! xD Im so proud of her and Im glad that she is just a nice snake.

BTW big news, I just weighed her and she is a whole 9 grams, isnt that incredible!! :D I cant believe my little girl is such a fatty. :P

Im so happy with Lacey, she is the most perfect snake ever, I think Im in love. ;)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2010 :  10:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some snake breeders try to get their hatchies out earlier to make the early money, and incubate the eggs a little hotter, which can result in earlier hatching and hot hatchies - feisty and faster than usual.

BTW very cute snake.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2010 :  12:08:00  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A few of hatchlings were laid back and relaxed while some others were super jumpy and another was super grumpy and used to bite me all the time all of the same clutch, it's just how some are, strange to think though.

I swoop all of mine to pick them up, my calm snakes never mind and the more nervous two have got used to it now so they have kinda been trained that my smellyness and swooping isn't a bad thing.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000