After feeding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rick1894
Egg

90 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2010 :  11:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fed diego for first time yesterday which went really well and managed to capture vid on my iphone, took 10 mins in total including nipping himself a few times whilst trying to locate the mouse head

Anyway onto the question, is it normal for the snake to curl up and hide afterwards?

Its been around 20hr's now and looks like he's not moved, moved his head when i changed water so would i be right in thinking it's normal and why you don't handle for 2 days afterwards.

Thank's in advance, just abit paranoid as very limited knowledge on snake behaviour

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2010 :  12:28:30  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yup thats normal behaviour. They go and hide away to digest because out in the wild they are more vulnerable to predators while full of food because they can't move as fast

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

rick1894
Egg

90 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2010 :  13:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheer's thought so but just a little paranoid as it's all new to me.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2010 :  14:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spot will hide for 2-3 days and only be back active again once he has digested his meal and gone for a poo. It takes them a lot of energy to digest so they almost shut down while they concentrate most of their energy on the task of digestion. A bit like us falling asleep in front of the TV after a big meal.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Ayersy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2010 :  14:42:36  Show Profile  Click to see Ayersy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just feeding Egon for the first time, now. :)

He seems to have a little trouble getting the mouse the right way round, but I think he's getting there, slowly. Just gonna leave him to it for a bit.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2010 :  15:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry if he takes it bum first its really not a problem, bit odd looking but nothing to worry about. Its great feeding them for the first time and a relief when they actually take the mouse. Good luck. Its Spot's feeding day today too, he's already out and about hours earlier than normal its as if he knows dinner is coming.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Edited by - lotabob on 26/12/2010 15:16:42
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2010 :  15:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, Nimbus hides away for 2-3 days depending on how large the meal was. I always like to check on him each day but I never disturb him.

When he is ready, he comes out of hiding, has a big smelly poop then carries on as normal lol
Go to Top of Page

metalwraith
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  11:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
louise how did u get that pic on your threads

Sig images resized by admin - Please see:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15428 for more info

0.4 corn snake sookie, Ziyal,vesper,angel
0.1 albino striped cali king snake Sura
0.1 irian jaya, Gia
1.0 royal python, Monty
1x siberian husky Indiana
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  13:14:15  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yep morgana hides away for 3 days after her meal, like you louise, i find where shes hiding and just check that shes ok, i get the whats the problem look when i have a nose lol

got woken up to a really stinky poop last night lol.....must of been bad to wake me ( i live in a studio flat) lol i still stress, but just think, as long as they are eating, pooping, drinking and sleeping, they not stressed lol

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

rick1894
Egg

90 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  15:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers everyone, is the poo that bad? Not had the pleasure of cleaning that yet :p
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  18:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by metalwraith

louise how did u get that pic on your threads

It's off my photobucket album, just use the img code under your photobucket pic and put it in the signature section on your profile.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  18:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rick1894

Cheers everyone, is the poo that bad? Not had the pleasure of cleaning that yet :p

Its poo! Its not exactly great but its not awful either, you get a kind of weird pride when a poo arrives, proud of your snake for sucessfully digesting its food. It smells quite bad but its not the worse smell in the world.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  20:00:55  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You want an honest answer? It is absolutely vile! Its not a smell I can explain, its not like poo, its so unusual! That is exactly how Lacey was when I fed her, just laid in her warm hide and slept for 2 days, then she came out to say good morning so I gave her a cuddle and she pooped on me! They are such excellent little creatures! xD
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

rick1894
Egg

90 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  22:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, can't be any worse than my youngest's nappies ;) he's woke up alot more the last couple of hours so can't wait to handle him again tomorrow and get used to eachother.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2010 :  22:40:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seth doesnt hide away for 3 days its about 1-2 days hes up the glass doors, well think hes saying get me out, but i dont i wait 48hrs before i get him out

clare n seth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000