Concerns about heating.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ayersy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  11:36:46  Show Profile  Click to see Ayersy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello all, I just got my first snake, Egon, yesterday afternoon and everything seems to be going okay, but I'm a little concerned about heating!

I got a starter-kit from a local pet shop which specializes in exotic animals, it came with a flaunarium, heat mat, some wood chipping type of substrate (I wanted aspen), a couple of pinkies and a water bowl.

I later went out and got a hide, a silk plant (Which he likes climbing up), and a thermometer.

When I got the starter kit, I had some questions to ask, but unfortunately, the actual owner wasn't in, at the time, so I had to deal with a member of staff who wasn't particularly keen on snakes...

I asked if the kit came with a thermostat, as I've heard they are essential, but he said they're not, and my friend just told me I was being overly-cautious.

The problem at the moment is keeping the flaunarium heated, I have the thermometer in the warm end, reading at 27.6c, is this okay? We have no central heating in the house at the moment, so I am relying on an electric heater to heat the room properly, it's still not all that warm.

I may just be paranoid, but I always prefer to know what I should be doing, rather than just wing it. Any input would be welcome. Cheers!

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  11:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you are in EXACTLY the same position as me with the snake im babysitting lol!

a thermostat would be great, in due course, but i have habistats on all my permanent vivs and at this time of year (with only an electric heater)all the heaters are on 24/7 anyway! you should be fine for the time being, just make sure the substrate is relatively thin over the heat mat. 27.5* isnt a bad temp tbh, my cornsnakes get cooler than that and are both extremely happy and healthy! keep an eye on him and if you notice he is particularly lethargic (tired, stationary, no tounge flicking then youll need to warm him up a bit (move viv closer to fan heater/ cover faunarium with somethin?)

anyhoo, sounds ok to me so dont worry, if you do have any concerns im sure the guys on here will have all the answers you need!

grats on your first snake btw

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

Ayersy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  11:56:40  Show Profile  Click to see Ayersy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks, haha!

I have the heat mat on all the time, yeah, and I have the substrate pretty thinly spread over the heat mat, thermometer says about 28 degrees now. He was fairly active last night, he was climbing up everything and falling over, which looked pretty funny. Now he's just hiding in the plastic plant, not really doing anything.

Thanks for the info, I hate feeling like I'm paranoid, I just want to get things right, heh.
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  12:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its best to be safe and ask questions! mine falls over loads, theres a lil lip on my 4x4x2 ft viv and my big corn "wotsit" always climbs on the lip and when he gets fat @rse up there just crashes down! what a wally!

just noticed your only in ashford so ill pm/email you my mobile if u want and if you have any urgent worries or panics, gimme a bell and worst comes to it i can always swing round and help out?? u probably wont need me to but the offers there if you need it! ;)

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

Ayersy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  12:11:30  Show Profile  Click to see Ayersy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I may just move the heater a little closer to the faunarium, to make sure the cool end is at the right kind of range, as it seems the warm end is fine at the moment, may go out and get another hide, too, to make him feel more secure. :)

I may just take you up on that offer of the number! Thanks, mate. :D
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  12:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
best to have a cool hide and a warm one so he can regulate temp without feeling exposed. the plastic plant will help too.
Ill email you my number, any probs gimme a shout! I havent been out for a tear on my bike for a while anyway and its not a bad run to ashford! can do it bout 10 minutes on a good day :) ) plus always nice to meet fellow snake people!

have a great christmas!

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  14:06:53  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What kind of theormeter is it?

Yes stats are essential, temp might be fine today but they have been known to burnt snakes, burn viv/fauns and burnt parts of houses. If you think about the wide range of species and animals that are heated with heatmats in captivity, and all the different ranges of temps that they need, a stats is the only way to make sure you always get the perfect temperature range for your corn. Petshops are dumb or have very old advise.

You don't need to warm up your house for the cool end.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  14:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i agree if the cool end is too cool, he'll just stay at the warm end. only move closer to heat if the warm and is too cold.

and like sta~ple said get a stat as soon as you can, they are very good! (i use habistats but lots around) in the mean time, keep an eye on him but dont panic ;) im sure he's fine!

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

Ayersy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  14:27:28  Show Profile  Click to see Ayersy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just ran out and got a stat, just set ut up, it's set to 29 degrees, he seems happy enough hiding under his new little hidey log I got for him. It's definitely put my mind at ease. :)

Oh, and it's a digital thermometer. When I have a bit more cash, I'll get one for the cool end, too. I've got both the stat sensor and thermometer sensor together in the same place. I think it's all sorted now. I feel less paranoid.

Edited by - Ayersy on 24/12/2010 14:32:53
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  14:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nicely done! did you get my email yet?

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

Ayersy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  14:51:09  Show Profile  Click to see Ayersy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cheers, I just needed to sort it out, or I wouldn't be able to think about anything else, which is bad when I have lots of present wrapping to do!

I haven't checked my e-mails just yet, but I'll have a quick looksy in a little while. Thanks for your help. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000