New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  16:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use beech chip as substrate but i do feel sorry for the snakes as I have often seen them trying to burrow in it which can't be very comfortable for them. I like the look of aspen but am concerned that they may ingest it as I always feed in the viv. Putting kitchen towel down or a bowl with the rat in i'm not sure will work as my adults often drag the rat slightly. Any suggestions on a softer substrate I could use and still feed in the viv?

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  16:11:11  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
most substrates will give u the same problems due to the fibres, just start to feed out the viv :)

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  16:44:13  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could still use aspen and feed in the viv if you want to. Just put some kitchen roll under the food. Or, as above ^^ feed out of the viv.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  19:01:33  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how big is your snake?

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  19:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use kitchen roll and put quite a few sheets in the cool end and Nimbus likes to burrow under and inbetween the sheets.

Having said that, I still feed him outside his tank.
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  19:28:08  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i feed morgana in her lil tub outside the viv, but i have a bit of kitchen roll under the warm side of the viv, and aspen in the cool end, as she loves to burrow

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  10:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eeji, I have 2 adults both around the 5ft mark and I also have 2 youngsters both are approx 16inches. I don't really want to feed out of the viv as they are all happy feeding in the vivs and one adult can be nervous aggressive through previous owners ill treatment and the other adult is a right lar lar anything new and he gets really upset, bless him.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

Ammerz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
168 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  10:40:10  Show Profile  Click to see Ammerz's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
one adult can be nervous aggressive

I've always found feeding out of the viv helps to reduce aggressiveness!!

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  10:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He has not shown me aggression in his viv as yet but hates being touched by human skin he really flinches, so I always wear gloves with him. I feel that bringing him out of the viv every week or so would be quite stressful for him and unsettle him it took a good 2 months before he would even move if he could see me.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000