Heating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  10:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had my corn snake since 1st December. I have a heat mat with thermostat at one end and also use a 25 watt lamp during the day. The warmest part of the vivarium will not go above 25 degrees, and the cool end above 20. The matt is taped to the bottom of the vivarium for maximum effect, yet I still can't reach the recommended temperature! What should I do please?

Also, during the last few days, she seems to keep herself hidden. She used to be out and about when I came down first thing in the morning, but she seems to stay under her rock now. Any ideas why?

Hayley Darby

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  13:11:28  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
can u explain your set up up more please eg type of viv, mat location, prob locations etc :)

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  14:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Than you for your reply. I have a plastic vivarium about 18 inches long. The mat is stuck to the bottom at one end. I have a thermometer at each end and a hide at each end. water bowl in cool end. I have the thermometers just touching the top of the substrate. The hot end is only ever between 20-24 centigrade and the cool end 17 - 20. The thermostat is set to 28 but don't seem to need it! am worried that this is too cold for my snake. Only reaches 24 centigrade when I have lamp on in the day.

Hayley Darby
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  16:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I have a very similar set up to you. I would say set the temp of your thermostat higher as they tend to be quite inacurate. Mine is set to 32c and the heat mat gets up to 30c and then the thermostat turns it off. If I had my thermostat set at 28c it would probably turn the heat mat off at around 26c!

Hope that makes sense, I'm rubish at explaining things!
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  18:27:44  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as louise says, ignore the markings on the thermostat itself, just adjust it and use your thermometer to get the right temp. What sort of thermometer are you using dial or digital and how thick is the substate. Also does the plastic vivarium you got have little ridges on the bottom as feet??? if it does that can cause poor contact on the bottom between the mat an the plastic

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  14:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your replies. My Thermostat is not actually doing anything yet... the temperature does not get anywhere near what it should be... mat is on continually. Yes there are plastic feet on my vivarium, but I have managed to put the mat between them, so there is good contact. So I am still non the wiser as to why I can't achieve the correct temperature! I have a dial thermometer and two glass thermometers. They read the same when I swap them round, so don't think the thermometers are the problem. Do different heat mats give off higher temperatures?

Hayley Darby
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  14:41:22  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
digital thermometers are better than dial etc and most use them, how thick is the substrate as u said the probes are on the top, to thicker layer of substrate will stop the heat getting through to the probes. what is the temperature at the bottom of the substrate??

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  15:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the ambient temperature of the room your snake is in?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  09:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your replies! The room is the warmest in the house.... the living room. We're keeping the door shut too while this cold weather is here. The room is around 22 degrees with heating on, and around 18 without.

The temperature at the bottom of the substrate is only about a degree warmer than the top. It's difficult to get an accurate reading unless I drop the thermometer into the middle of the vivarum as the heat mat does not come right to the edges of the viv. And the thermometer is obviously stuck to the side of the viv.

Think I have it sussed now though thanks, as I phoned the pet shop where I got my accessories, and they suggested using a red light bulb and leaving it on all the time, instead of a normal bulb just in the day. I have done this and am using a 60 watt bulb now instead of a 25watt. It has raised the temperature to 26 degrees. The thermostat turned off the power for the first time ever! I have now adjusted the thermostat to a higher setting. Hopefully this will be ok now.

Hayley Darby
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  10:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 60w bulb will get too hot, I use one for the boas and on max chat it hits 40 degrees in there, and that's a 5x2x2 viv. For starters you are using cr*p stuff, those dial thermometers are not accurate, and have a response time of about 20 minutes, if you want to do it properly then you must have digi ones, anything else and you are wasting your time. Secondly, ideally, the mat should be on the inside of the faun, there is debate about this, but I have tried both ways, and that works best.
The bottom line is, if you have to use a bulb to hit 28 degrees, and a 60w at that, then there is a problem.
Even the smallest mat is capable if 30 degrees.
If the bulb and mat can't get the heat up, then it might be worth checking that you have 240v at the socket, get someone who knows what they are doing though, its a fatal mistake to make.

Also, when using a 60w bulb, especially on a faun, it is absolutely essential that it is statted, on a dimmer, otherwise you will melt the faun and potentially burn the snake, or worse it he gets melted plastic on him.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000