New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  17:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The saddest day today, came in tonight and found my beautiful little snake had died today . I have no idea what happened, he had water, he had heat and a cool end. The only signs he was off were regurgitation and quite frequent defecation. He'd seemed much livlier in the last few days, out and about under his fake plants and bathing in his water, just don't know where I went wrong.

The only mark on him is a small dark greenish area around his underbelly and side which hadn't been there when I last had him out. I thought at first it may have been a burn but the faunarium floor wasn't extremly hot and he'd been laying in the hotter end with all of his body, not just this small 1cm area.

So sad to have lost him, I loved him to bits and miserable to think I may have caused this, if anyone can shed any light on this please help.

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011

rockroyal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  17:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so sorry for your lose lets hope the guys girls on here can shed some light on this very sad time for you

1.0.0 corn snake
0.1.0 royal python
0.1.0 hognose

Who moved the light at the end of the tunnel
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  17:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Botting, just so heartbroken can't believe it, keep expecting to look over and for him to be in his faunarium. Checked the pictures on here of burns just in case, but it definately wasn't a burn, the skin was smooth, not dry, just as though he had something in his tummy, but he hadn't eaten since Saturday 11th according to the shop, then he regurged on Tues and again on Wed, so I was giving him some relaxation time before I attempted to feed again.

Miss him already, I've only had him 8 days but I loved him to bits

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  17:20:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That green mark doesnt sound like a burn... rather some kind of organ failure to me :( I have heard of many baby snakes with this happening to them, it wasn't anything you did wrong, it just happens sometimes.

I'm sorry for your loss though, since you haven't had home long maybe you can contact the breeder/shop and they can set you up with a new one.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 20/12/2010 17:21:50
Go to Top of Page

rockroyal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  17:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

That green mark doesnt sound like a burn... rather some kind of organ failure to me :( I have heard of many baby snakes with this happening to them, it wasn't anything you did wrong, it just happens sometimes.

I'm sorry for your loss though, since you haven't had home long maybe you can contact the breeder/shop and they can set you up with a new one.

i could not agree more pop down to the shop you got him from and see if they can offer you another

1.0.0 corn snake
0.1.0 royal python
0.1.0 hognose

Who moved the light at the end of the tunnel
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  18:11:50  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
omg newbie

so sorry to hear of your loss

poor little chap, but as the other say, prob nothing you done at all hun, just nature........hope you get another one soooon

big hugs xxx

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  19:04:47  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear that. Doesn't sound like anything you did wrong. It's horrible because you had been so happy with your little snake. I really feel for you. Sending loving thoughts and hugs xx

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  19:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear this.

RIP little snakey.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  20:44:44  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
RIP little snake :(

The green mark is something that happens after they pass, if I recall correctly its leakage from the gall bladder so its usually nothing related to the cause.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  20:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts, feel a little better thinking I might not be to blame for his death.

Could anything have helped organ failure Sta~ple?

Not the best introduction to snake keeping!

I'm waiting until the new year before I go to have a look at a new snake, this time maybe one a little older than poor Pliskin was.

Thanks again everyone xxx

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  21:10:07  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its quite possible that the regurge was a symptom of an underlying problem that you wouldn't have spotted, reptiles are extremely good at hiding just how ill they are sometimes right up until they pass away.

Some babies are just not meant to be, call it fate or whatever but at such a young age it won't have been anything you did wrong.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  21:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no,I really am gutted for you I know you thought the world of your little snake. It sounds like its something that would have happened anyway so at least he spent the last part of his life loved and in a good home.
R.I.P little snakey. Caring thoughts sent your way x

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  23:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about Pliskin. It is almost certainly not your fault. Like people have said some of these baby snakes just aren't meant to be. Some underlying issue and although perfect on the outside are deformed internally, and would not have survived no matter what you tried. It is a very small risk with hatchlings but don't let that put you off snake keeping. Think of it positively, you made a sick little snake very happy and comfortable while it was alive.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  23:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
omg sorry to hear about your loss .....

Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  21:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the lovely messages everyone,

Determined not to let this put me off owning snakes, I'll discuss what happened with a breeder someone recommended (Pliskin came from a general pet shop, so going to go to a breeder this time) in the new year, triple check my set-up and try again, so hopefully you'll get an update in 2011 xx

Go to Top of Page

Ammerz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
168 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  21:38:30  Show Profile  Click to see Ammerz's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  09:06:51  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
so sorry for ur loss :( RIP little snakie xxx

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  16:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry to hear that your little snakie has passed away. Somethings are just not meant to be. x

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  14:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gutted for you bud, that sucks. glad your not letting it put you off tho. RIP lil snakey

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  15:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really sorry for ya. sounds like you did a good job making him happy though! just a thought, before you put a new one
in, make sure everythings given a good disinfecting and change the substrate etc. im sure you would anyway, you seem to know what your doing and it probably wasnt a factor but always a good precaution for these unexplained tragedies.

Sorry again for your loss and r.i.p lil snake

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"

Edited by - Benji54 on 24/12/2010 11:23:50
Go to Top of Page

EmmaJayne
Hatchling

United Kingdom