Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  10:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for the kind messages, so nice to have people that understand, most people I know are scared of snakes and don't seem to view the loss the same as they would any other type of pet.

I was so concerned it could be contagious I rang the shop to see if theirs were ok! The manager couldn't really guess at why this happened but I ran through my set-up to ensure I had everything right and it seems ok, he offered me another one as I'd only had him a week, felt a bit guilty at the idea of replacing him but decided to go and get a new little snake after New Year, may see if they have a female wild type so it doesn't look too much the same (Pliskin was a caramel het butter motley).

Aiming to head through around the 12th Jan 2011 so I'll let you know after I've picked one out and put a picture up as soon as the new arrivals had a while to settle in. Just in case stress was the cause the faunarium will be set up ready and she'll be popped in and left strictly alone in a nice quiet area!

Hope everyone has a great christmas, looking forward to chatting to you all soon xxx

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  10:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have a good christmas and i know what you mean, its nice when people sypathise and love their snakes! i was on the verge of tears when my royal got ill, spent about £150 on vet fees and my mate was like "why dont you just buy a different one and let that one die.." unbvelievable! some peole just dont get it!

im sure your new snake will be very happy to go to such a good home and pliskin would be happy that your looking after one of his relatives im sure! ;)

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  10:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Benji,

Your mate said to let your Royal go?! Bet people wouldn't say that about a dog or cat though! I was snuffling into a kleenex on Monday and people were just saying can't you just get another? So its great to have other people who love snakes to talk to I love Royals and aiming to get one think I need more experience though! xx

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  11:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know, crazy huh! they think its just an ornament! i lve all my snakes to bits (in fact all snakes everywhere! Royals arnt too bad, slightly diff requirements to corns but not too difficult. my new addition (rainbow boa)needs a bit more advanced care, very particular temp/humidity requirements.

its nice you care so much bout your snakes, im sure all the snakes you come to own will be happy and well looked after!

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  14:50:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww thank you I hope I can find a nice little corn, then hopefully in future I can get a royal, I'm terrible with animals, I can't resist when I see a new potential pet!

Your rainbow boa sounds lovely, great name to ! I'd be worried about taking on a snake that needed a more experienced owner until I was 100% but, as I say, I'm animal mad so you never know! Thought about a royal instead of another corn in case it reminded me too much of Pliskin, but the only one in the spot I went to hasn't eaten for 4 and a half weeks, and its only young, think I would struggle getting it to take food and couldn't bear loosing it! xx

Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  16:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just get whatever you like ehrn you see it. as an aside, royals very often go through phases of not eating (we call it "silly season") i have known couple go over 3 months! offering a gerbil will normally end the fasting but then they only eat gerbils! (fatty and expensive!)
i can understand why you dont wanna risk it tho! anyways have fun choosing him or her! have a good christmas!

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  17:49:03  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newbie

Aww thank you I hope I can find a nice little corn, then hopefully in future I can get a royal, I'm terrible with animals, I can't resist when I see a new potential pet!

Your rainbow boa sounds lovely, great name to ! I'd be worried about taking on a snake that needed a more experienced owner until I was 100% but, as I say, I'm animal mad so you never know! Thought about a royal instead of another corn in case it reminded me too much of Pliskin, but the only one in the spot I went to hasn't eaten for 4 and a half weeks, and its only young, think I would struggle getting it to take food and couldn't bear loosing it! xx

so glad your going for another corn hun, and your lil snakey as been said before, had a happy life with you, but nature plays her course sometimes.....

looking forward to seeing new pics.......have a good christmas xx

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Kat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2010 :  21:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We lost our little snakey a couple of weeks ago. He was happy and active right up until the end, just like yours. We had him for 12 weeks so he was about 4 months old but hadn't really grown. He was a very happy gregarious little snake and although he was only with us for a very short time, at least I know that he was well looked after and there was nothing we could have done. I'm glad you're planning on another snake, just the fact that you're on here means that you're a conscientious owner and you're researched your snake properly.

Like you we're planning to get another snakey in the New Year, after the weather warms up a bit!! I don't fancy transporting a snake 80 miles in -14!

0.0.1 Amel (Omari)
1.1 Leopard Geckos (Tychondrious and Cleopatra)
0.2 Chocolate Labs (Millie and Lucy) 0.1 Weimaraner (Suzi)
1.0 Cat (Thomas)
2.1 Children plus 1.0 squatting nephew
no more Bovines
and 1.0 husband!
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2010 :  22:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kat,

Thanks for your post So sorry for your loss your little snake sounds lovely, its so sad to lose them, especially when they're so young.

Minus 14?! Glad I'm not where you are! In the North West we've had a max low of minus 9 so far.

I've got my fingers crossed that Santa's picked out two perfect little snakeys that need good homes and they're waiting for us to come and fetch them in Janurary! I find being on the forum such a reassurance that help and advice is close at hand!

Hope you've had a great Christmas, keep me updated when you get your new little one xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2010 :  22:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Northern Ireland. We've had down near -20 in the past week, with day time temps of -9. Apparently it's going to thaw tomorrow. Still currently -14 so I'll believe the thaw when I see it. Don't think it's a good temperature to bring a snakey out in even with heaters in the car.

0.0.1 Amel (Omari)
1.1 Leopard Geckos (Tychondrious and Cleopatra)
0.2 Chocolate Labs (Millie and Lucy) 0.1 Weimaraner (Suzi)
1.0 Cat (Thomas)
2.1 Children plus 1.0 squatting nephew
no more Bovines
and 1.0 husband!
Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2010 :  08:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really sorry to hear your sad news.

The same thing happened to me with my first snake. It is good news however that you are not put off snake keeping. I almost was after little George died.

I took him back to the shop and was told that it was nothing I had done. The guy in the shop let me see all the hatchlings feed and then gave me the best feeder. She is now just over a year old and doing really well.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your next snake I am sure it will be one of many (they are very addictive you know???)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000