heating a stack
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  19:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im starting to design my stack that i want to build. its going to hold a corn snake on the bottom and two tarantulas on the second tier. i was thinking about putting the snakes heat mat in a false floor underneath him. the idea is to build a plinth to sit the stack on top of with a few mm gap so i can slide the mat underneath. this means i dont have to wire the mat through the sides and have cables everywhere (still intend to put the stat and thermometer inside though). my question is, do you think that the heat will get through 15mm conti enough to heat the viv sufficiently? im thinking of doing similar to the top but with a mat vertically between the 2x 1 foot vivs that will hold my spiders, the plan being that the mat hopefully will heat both sides to a similar temp so i can just stat one side and have therms in both just to monitor.

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  19:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The heat will get through eventually, the problem might be how hot the mat will have to get before the stat becomes effective, with wood its better inside with the stat directly in contact to avoid any mad melting incidents etc.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  19:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Heat getting through 15mm conti will take a LONG time.
Heatmats inside each viv section would be better. My stack has mats inside each, not weighed down with anything but substrate/hides.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  19:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i figured as much. thanks for the input guys.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000