Corns Kept in groups?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  17:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey have kept corns for a couple of years now and have two corns together (around 2years old) im getting them sexed in the next couple of weeks at my local vet and was just wondering if i decided to get other corns what would be an ideal sex ratio for a group of say 4 corns? i know more than one male cannot be kept with any femals as they will fight over mating rights etc and obviously one male lots of females will end with many babies which i do not want. i have space to seperate the two i have if they are male and female but if both are of same sex i may look into getting another to go in there too. if all males is this a bad idea? will they still eventually fight? and are females even likely to fight if in a group or should i just leave it at pairs or look into getting another viv and keeping any more i wanted to get in there? thanks for reading this just cant find any info in books or on net and breeders i know are all telling me different things any help will be greatly appreciated thank you :)
sara

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  17:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm, all I can say really is take a look at this thread and you will get an idea about how much of a controversial subject co-habitting corn snakes can be!

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13187
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  17:57:51  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bad idea imo, theres loads of threads explaining why :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  18:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't recommend keeping 2 corns together, let alone groups. I assume if you have 1 male 1 female after you get your two sexed that you will be splitting them up?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ammerz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
168 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  18:49:47  Show Profile  Click to see Ammerz's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dont get more corns just so you can keep them in groups, if you dont have space to house them all speratly then you should really get them. I understand if you already have the corns and not enough tanks putting them together.

Well thats my opinion anyway!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  16:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeh if they are male and female i will split deffo but they have been ok together the whole time i've had them would i have to split them up regardless of sex?! as if not then the tank i have spare to split them into could be used for the new snake (managed to convince my boss to sell me one of her buttermilks and its beautiful :D)will read then threads though thanks guys (am always nervous to post in forums seems no matter what the topic your always doing something wrong :( but will get it sorted) thanks
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  09:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is definitely inadvisable to house young corns of opposite sexes together- they will be starting to reach sexual maturity, the male for sure, and this can cause no end of problems if they try to breed. The male could have a hemipene prolapse, the female could injure him if she doesn't want to be mated, the female could become very stressed at repeated mating efforts, could become eggbound or be too small and weak to survive laying.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  20:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeh like i said will make sure they are seperated if they are male and female had similar problem with wrongly sexed bearded drogons a couple of years back and once i realised they were opposite sexes they were in seperate tanks (in different houses too come to think of it) within the hour :) dont want babies and dont want underage breeding lol if thats what you'd call it :) thanks for the advice though :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000