Hand Sanitisers.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Recluso
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  09:03:51  Show Profile  Click to see Recluso's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mornin' folks!

So one thing I've read a lot about is the importance of making sure you wash your hands before and after handling snakes. Makes sense, used to do it with my rodents and still wash my hands after handling my dogs. But one thing I've read is that using hand sanitisers can be harmful to a snake (am assuming this might be the case because of the alcohol in it?). Is there any truth to this? I use sanitisers a lot, both in my job and also around the house. Heck, I have a bottle sitting on my desk as we speak and once I got my snake, I would have most likely used sanitisers after handling but am loathe to if they might indeed cause harm.

R.

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  09:09:09  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I dont think hand sanitisers do harm to snakes, Ive been to a few shops and breeders and they all used an alcohol gel. But I may be wrong so dont take my word for it. :)
Tiffany-x

Edited by - Tiffany-x on 05/12/2010 09:15:01
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

82 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  09:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On youtube the SnakeBytes guy said that alcohol doesn't harm them.(And he has ALOT of snakes)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  09:33:40  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use it all the time and never had any problems.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  09:46:45  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i use carex hand wash, and ive got a regular hand sanitizer from boots, but the non scented type

morgana seems to have a good idea its me and not food lol

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Recluso
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  10:04:05  Show Profile  Click to see Recluso's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well that's a bit of a relief :) It did seem a bit strange to say that a sanitiser gel could cause harm given that it's universally safe to use in hospitals and veterinary clinics and the like.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  13:33:47  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I always use the carex lemon scented ones and been using for over two years now and not had any problems.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  14:03:23  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the alcohol evaporates quickly so once you hands are dry after using it theres nothing to worry about

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory

Edited by - eeji on 05/12/2010 14:03:47
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  14:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

the alcohol evaporates quickly so once you hands are dry after using it theres nothing to worry about

Thats the important thing. Your hands have to be properly dry. I actually use the hand sanitiser they use in hospitals at work to remove stickie marks, its a great cleaning product but I spilt some and it removed the varnish off the table so it probably could be harmful if you were using the strong stuff but even that is harmles dry.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  19:45:36  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really should get a bottle in my room, especially when I eventually get my royal

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  20:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread reminded me to buy some so I got a bottle today :o)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000