Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2010 :  00:36:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sta~ple :)
I do find myself drawn more towards the carolina- they are just so beautiful! i already have a 2'x1'x1.5' (aprrox.) aquarium that i was going to build a stable lid for that can be clamped dowm. but i don't want to put a baby snake into that big a vivarium because i have read several articles that they can find it very stressful moving into such a big vivarium- what do you think? i'd love any suggestions
Charlotte
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2010 :  00:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't be overly worried when it comes to handling, they are fast but as long as your careful it will be fine. I handled Spot sat down with a towel on my knee, he jumped out of my hand once but didn't even fall the length of himself and because he was on a towel he had nowhere to go. Only took him a day or two to prefer been on me, I think he likes the heat and my hairy monkey arm instinctively reminds him of slithering through grass.

Another thing about hatchlings is they are more likely to bite, again don't worry about it, its only a slight chance, I've never been bitten by a corn snake and from what I hear a hatchling bite is painless and quite cute the way they strike, adult corns are very unlikely to bite but it is a consideration to be made as they are wild animals I actually want to be bitten, out of curiosity to see what Spot would look like mad. You develop these weird tolerances when you own snakes, like been crapped on, your first thought is 'oh good digestion there' rather than 'jeepers that's disgusting'.

They are very good at finding gaps to escape their enclosures but again, if your preparing your enclosure beforehand a good rule is plug any gaps that aren't purposely there for ventilation, clip down or weigh down lids, they are quite strong and will push on anything they think might move to let them out. Spot tried his look on every possible exit point for about 3 weeks, he's settling down but still has a good go every now and again.

You must be very self controlled waiting, I had to wait many many years to be in a position to own a snake, did my research, ordered the type of snake I wanted, it was with the breeder and I had to wait 2 days for it to arrive at the reptile shop and I was climbing the walls with excitement.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2010 :  00:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha! i wouldn't say i'm self controlled :P since it's a birthday present i'm not supposed to get my snake till the end of december (i doubt i could buy a snake on 1st January), but like you i've wanted a snake for years so i don;t think i'll be able to wait that long! I'm not fussed about being bitten or pooped on- to me it's all part of the experience, in a weird way i'm actually looking forward to it
Charlotte
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2010 :  00:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh your definitely a snake owner. That's snake owner mentality. Yeah I think New Years Day would be difficult to get your hands on a snake though not impossible. I see your set on a Carolina, they are lovely snakes I want an Okeetee next, I love their markings.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2010 :  01:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm not sure if i'm definately set on a carolina, although i think it'll definately be either a carolina or an oketee - when i went looking at the baby corns in my local shop they had one oketee and one carolina but the carolina had just shed so his colours were so vibrant he had the advantage over the oketee.
Charlotte
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2010 :  01:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah they like to show off when they've just shed. I think Okeetee has the best colouration as both a hatchling and as an adult though my favourite morph is Anery. In fact every time someone posts a picture I want whatever morph it is in the picture they are all just so pretty. I know that my house is going to end up covered in vivariums and I cant wait.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2010 :  06:37:48  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish I had an okeetee!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  19:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hooray! Just been and get my faunarium for my baby snake should be able to get my heatmat etc. this weekend so i can get it all set up and the temperatures set up - i'm really excited now!!!
Charlotte
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  22:36:50  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cooooolio!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2010 :  09:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh now you've got little snakeys new home its going to be even more exciting for you!!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  23:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
today i went to the pet shop and fell in love with a tiny carolina- he was so beautiful! i held him and after a little attempt to climb my scarf he was quite content to wind around and through my fingers. The long and short of it is... i'm bringing him home on saturday!!!
I'm SO excited and have spent the whole afternoon rearranging my room to get it ready!
Charlotte
Go to Top of Page

Claude
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  00:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are making me excited. And making me want another snake. Grr.

1.0.0 Snow - Claude
1.1.0 Carolina - Heidar and Suki

WISH LIST - Fire, Sulpher

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  01:47:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Claude

You are making me excited. And making me want another snake. Grr.

Me too I'm very jealous, I'm sure you can't wait and good you got a chance to handle him. You have to remember us too, we will all be waiting for photos.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  23:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
new snake tomorrow!!! only have to wait for another 16 hours
(i knew i couldn't wait till christmas :P)
Charlotte
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  23:58:50  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleLottie

i'm terrified of harming the snake

dont be hatchlings look so delicate and agile but they are actually tough nuts welcome

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000