In need of a little help with a snake.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  23:28:33  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I got my dad what I was told was an Anery, almost certain it's Charcoal Anery though.
Anyway obviously I am learning quite a bit about them, and I know they need a settling in period before handling.
But my dad naturally got a bit enthuisiastic and decided to handle it straight away for a little bit.
The snake was absolutely fine, it didn't move fast or jump or strike or anything not even once.
So he put it back and we went out, came home about 3-4 hours later, he picked it up again, and it was absolutely fine, never bothered about been handled.
We went back out again for about another 2-3 hours, just come home now, I got my snake out, hes got his out, and it is absolutely fine still.
Just wondering do they absolutely NEED a settling in period?
This snake doesn't seem offish at all, seems calm, relaxed, had a good wander around his hand, up his sleeve, on his chest and his bed and everywhere.
So wondering if leaving it alone for it's settling in period will make it maybe a bit withdrawn, do people think it would be OK to just handle it up until feeding time?
(Sorry this turned into a bit of a story but it seems quite an important subject so wanted to explain well.)

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
1.0.0 Normal Royal - Ronald.
1.0.0 Carpet Python - Magic.
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Pendulum.
1.0.0 Anery Corn - Chilli.
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Wormsle.
0.1.0 California King x Mexican Black - Lucy.
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Bear.

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  23:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stress can take time to set in so the settling in period is to keep things that will stress the snake to a minimum while it gets used to its new home. The no handling is so you don't overload your snake with too much going on all at once. It might not appear its affecting him until he suddenly STOPS EATING or biting or just been really shy. If the 7 day settling in period works for so many of us its worth while doing even if it appears pointless.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  23:52:36  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OK thanks a lot for the advice, he is due a feed on Saturday, so maybe just handle him on Monday after his foods digested?
Think that would be OK?

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  23:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it may not need a settling period, but it is advised to let them have that time to get used to their new surroundings and housing. It will minimise the possibility of stressing your new snake, so personally I would let it settle.

aneries hatchlings vary in colours from very dark almost black to lighter brown colours so it may well be an anery and not an anery charcoal

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  01:47:56  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
But if he gives it a settling in period, could it turn nasty from not been handled?

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  07:29:06  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dont worry, he wont get grumpy from not being handled. A week really wont change much. Just make sure you give him clean water every day and everything should be fine. :) He is v.pretty btw. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  18:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I got my to litle ones I didn't handle them for 7 days and their temperaments when handling after this time was not effected at all. I think its nice for them to explore and get used to the new smells and sounds in peace without being removed from their faunarium.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  00:04:41  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OK thanks folks, no handling until Monday :D

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000