just one thing to note about heat bulb guards
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  14:36:09  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i recently bought a vivarium set up complete with a heat bulb guard. but one thing i must point out to everyone that do not buy a heat bulb guard that is black, my one was and it got as hot as the actual heat bulb (coz we all know black absorbs lots of heat right) luckily a friend of mine works in a powder coating factory and he powdercoated the guard white for me and now it doesnt get red hot like the bulb that it is guarding.

so basically the moral of the story is get a white heat bulb guard not a black one. lol

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  14:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guard is black and doesn't even get warm so not exactly a golden rule.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  15:47:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
two of my guards are a gorgeous green colour courtesy of Dave / reptiles-ink

i think the closer to the bulb the guard is then the hotter the guard will get, buying a bigger guard (in any colour you like ) would also have fixed the problem though might also have been a more expensive option too lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  22:32:42  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think the moral of the story is to get the right sized gaurd

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  22:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep size is the key. Oh and while on the subject of light guard size dont forget the size of the holes especially around hatchies. I ordered my guard off the internet and was the perfect size, stayed cool. BUT I forgot THREE things =

They; (a)CLIMB (b)GET THROUGH SMALL GAPS (c)WILL ALWAYS DO WHAT THEY SHOULDN'T

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 11/11/2010 22:59:53
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  09:33:47  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
very true lotabob!! and great pic to illustrate it too lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  10:28:21  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Love the photo. What else is a snake to do other than what it shouldn't!!!!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  12:20:44  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage  Reply with Quote
o yes baby boot lace thin hatchlings can definatley fit through the square gaps in the guards, i had the same problem with blake when he was a baby , i had to get my uncle to build an inner section to go in the guard until he was big enough not to fit through the gaps lol

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  17:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The worse type for heating up are the ones that mount in a similar fashion to lampshades, using the lampholder.
The ones that mount on the viv surrounding the lamp and fully enclosing the fittings are better.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000