New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  20:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlie looked like he was going to shed last week ( I fed him anyway and havent handled other than to put him in his feeting rub)... I've been waiting up late most nights as he looks so ready he is so dull in colour now a week later! I've just gone into get him out to feed him and he hissed as I picked him up but he didnt even wait for me to put him down before striking at his food this evening so he has no issues with appetite! I was told it's matter of preference as to wether to feed them when they are shedding or not and I chose to continue feeding but to refrain from holding.

Anyway he's fed on a larger than normal I got him a mouse inbetween being a pinkie and a fuzzy as pinkies werent leaving a lump but the fuzzies looked too big..

So it's been a week now since I first noticed he was going "blue" he didnt poo after his last feed last week either? (which was a very small pinkie and he swallowed in less than a minute which is why I went and brought bigger ones for today.

Everything on track or should I be more concerned he hasnt shed yet? He last shed 4weeks ago a complete shed.

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  20:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wouldnt be concerned, its only been a week and you cant set a watch by the timescales for shedding. wouldnt imagnine it being too long now though but dont worry.

Edit: have a look through the sticky here shedding sticky

Edited by - gmac on 10/11/2010 20:24:48
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  20:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link, I've already read that it's just that Friday (gone) he was rubbing himself up the viv everywhere nearly all day he was doing it... the bahaviour that should mean he is loosening his skin I believe, Saturday he was pretty active rubbing himself round too but Since he has been a bit lazy curled up on a leaf. I just had already expected him to shed by now, he cant get much duller lol.Last time I only noticed as he looked dull within days he shed. ,,, I'm thinking I know he hasnt had enough to eat the last few weeks as he had a growth spurt and the pinkies he was on werent leaving a lump at all in him maybe that has held him back,,, of course he as just had a much larger one and I am hopeful I wake up to a nice shed in the morning... Of course I'm just hoping my logic works lol
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  20:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know a just fed snake will go hide, sleep and digest its meal. I know thats what my snake does, this might (and I'm not sure but would think it's possible) stop him rubbing and basically shedding until he has at least part way digested his meal.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  21:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlie rarely hides anymore he has a plant (artificial large foliage one) in the viv and he spends his days curled round there. He didnt hide at all after his last feed but I note he has dissapeared this time (much larger pinkie/fuzzy- im not sure it was sort of inbetween there was some fur on it and it had whiskas wheras the last lot barely resembled mice they were so small.) My other snake Matilda I note has stopped hiding so much too she has an identical artificial plant in hers n she spends a lot of her time curled round there too but she still hides sometimes. He has had a super growth spurt though so he cant possibly go much longer! He's not near the hatchling I brought home 2months ago!! He's loking all grown up all of a sudden hehe.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  21:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

As far as I know a just fed snake will go hide, sleep and digest its meal. I know thats what my snake does, this might (and I'm not sure but would think it's possible) stop him rubbing and basically shedding until he has at least part way digested his meal.

not strictly true, i have a corn, also a king, that will quite happily shed the day after or even the same day as eating.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  10:18:39  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i must admit, i've fed corns that were in blue and by the time i've gone to put them back in their vivs they've eaten AND shed!

though if it's a big meal he might feel the need to chill and digest is stronger than the need to shed lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

heatseeker872591
Hatchling

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  12:41:01  Show Profile  Visit heatseeker872591's Homepage  Reply with Quote
when blake goes into blue now, it usually starts with his belly scales all going dull, the the rest of his body and then his eyes turn blue last of all believe it or not and this can last over a week in some cases, then when he eventually turns back his normal colour he will stay that way for about 4 to 5 days before the eventual shed takes place, i bare in mind that he is an adult now and the process takes alot longer in adults lol but what a draaaaaaaaaaaaag lol

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  16:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He still hasnt shed yet but he did have a big meal so I think digesting that has come first but I can see him poking his head up out the viv its been 2days since he fed nearly so I wait with anticipation. I really want to catch him in the act and I cant wait he seems to of doubled in size over the last week or so! He was smaller than my new snake when we got her 3weeks ago now she seems so small compared to him. Funny how fast he overtook her!
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  22:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all Charlie STILL hasn't shed??? I'm thinking maybe I thought he was and got it wrong and maybe now he really is due to? He now looks duller than ever, is coiled up in the cool side in his viv in his hide and not been active for a few days at all now. I've seen him move from cold to warm side occasionally but thats about it. He was due to feed Wednesday and usually whilst a day early scaling his viv in anticipation he has remained in his hide.
Im thinking i'm used to him being his shiny self after a shed and he is getting older maybe not shedding so often and picked up he was about to shed just as his brighness from his prev shed became apparent?
Any input would be invaluble, Considering a moss box?? warm end temps is currently 28.2c
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  22:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has he needed any assisting to shed before, personally I would let him shed in his own time without intervention, he will shed when he is ready to.

Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  22:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No his last two sheds were within 3weeks of each other and were full complete sheds. Im almost sure I've maybe got it wrong that he was going to shed before and now he really is ( on accounts he fed fine last week when I thought he was going into shed except he did hiss as I picked him up which is unlike him but he fed fine. This week he has hid away he is overdue a feed and I choose not to feed him on accounts he is ALWAYS out and ready on feeding day so all I've done is change his water and otherwise left him totally alone. In the past i've noticed around about a few days before he has shed that he was blue but yes he is getting older from the tiny hatchling we brought home and I can take on board I maybe got it slightly premature as his colours faded. As long as no-one on here is worried I'll be fine to wait but happy for any advice on when the right time to think maybe I need to assist in some way.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  23:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if he hasn't needed any assistance I wouldn't start now, snake knows what its doing.

Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2010 :  07:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just like to say thanks for the advice to leave him be. Woke up this morning to a complete shed :) All that worry... proves Snakey knows best :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000