New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pompey666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
123 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  04:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all if you build your own incubator how do you maintain the humidity as you can not get the eggs wet can you not sure weather to build one or buy one so just wanted to know cheers all advise welcome

2.3.1 corns
0.2.0 wife and daughter

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  07:55:09  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i half bury eggs in damp vermiculite and cover them with damp sphagnum moss, that seems to maintain humidity well but also mist occasionally too

if you search for 'incubator'the threads in the DIY and off-corn sections should be particularly useful

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 10/11/2010 07:56:07
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  20:44:01  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

i half bury eggs in damp vermiculite and cover them with damp sphagnum moss, that seems to maintain humidity well but also mist occasionally too

if you search for 'incubator'the threads in the DIY and off-corn sections should be particularly useful

same here, but I don't mist them and get 99% humidity throughout the incubation period :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  10:14:34  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i do try not to mist them but when i feel the need i use water that's tepid and spray the moss that covers the eggs, not the eggs themselves directly

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  11:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i decided to try something different this year, i used perlite instead, dont think it made any odds really, except it was cleaner.
there are loads of threads on incubators in here, i even wrote a couple of them, search.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  13:48:43  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how did you get on with the perlite Mike? I might try that next year cos everything comes out of damp vermiculite gold coloured! :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  15:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to be honest mate, the perlite did exactly the same job and wasnt nearly as messy. the water perlite mix isnt as straight forward as the vermiculite, you cant squeeze the water out, but a 100 80 mix did my lot well.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000