Feeding didn't go so well.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  16:36:26  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OK so today was the first feed for Pendulum.
He seemed very very defensive when I tried taking him out of his tank (couldn't grab him he just shot out of my hand) so I put the pinkie in his tank (I am getting him a slightly bigger tank anyway so chances are he won't go viv defensive) and he won't eat it.
Any suggestions to why not?

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
1.0.0 Normal Royal - Ronald.
1.0.0 Carpet Python - Magic.
1.0.0 Amel Corn - Pendulum.
1.0.0 Anery Corn - Chilli.
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Wormsle.
0.1.0 California King x Mexican Black - Lucy.
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Bear.

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  16:42:00  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OK just as I posted that, I put the pinkie back in the tank just out of randomness, one last chance, and he has just ate it.
Very very happy now! :D

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  16:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say the feeding didnt go well because your snake is stressed. You only got it on the 2nd and you have been handling it almost straight away and feeding after 4 days. It hasn't had time to settle into its new surroundings in relative peace. You should leave it alone other than to change its water for at least 7 days, give it chance to settle in, get used to the smells, sounds (vibrations) from your home, only then can you begin to handle and feed the snake. You leave the snake so it can become comfortable in its faun/viv/rub so even if you handling the snake stresses him (which is does to start with), he has somewhere to go to calm down.

A snake thats not settled in is stressed, picking up a stressed snake just makes it more stressed, and a really stressed snake wont feed properly.

Oh and I love the name, Pendulum, very good.

Possibly for the sake of Pendulum start the settling in period again, I know its hard to leave them alone but it is essential that you do.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 06/11/2010 16:56:40
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  17:47:02  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I will totally leave him alone other than changing water for the next 7 days then, see if he is any better after that, he has thankfully ate it now, just took a bit of time, he was smelling it quite a lot, and seemed to be rubbing his head on it, don't know if thats to see if its alive or dead or whatever?
But yeah I will leave him for 7 days.

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  17:49:46  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And also thank you for the advice.
It seems like a decent place this site, if you do something wrong or aren't sure of what to do, everyone just helps and doesn't have a go for getting it wrong/not knowing.
You will definitely be seeing more of me and Pendulum :D

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  18:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah poking at the pinkie is normal, mine does it, seems to start at the back and work his way round and forward until he reaches the head and then he will start to swallow it.

This is my snake eating, you'll see the poking and prodding at it before he swallows it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRfZ0IWI9Kw

Leaving them alone is the toughest thing to do, you might even find as I did that he'll come to you when you change the water, let him smell you, even climb onto your hand but just stay still, dont attept to pick him up, only intervene if he is making a break for freedom. If I'm totally honest I only waited 6 days before feeding but I wanted to feed on a Sunday and didn't want to leave it another whole week so its not an exact rule, you'll be able to tell when he is feeling more confident, you mentioned always hiding, he will venture out more. I've had my snake a month and he will be in and out all evening long from about 6pm onwards, I can now open the door, hold my hand out and he will come out of his viv of his own accord and will stay calm if I pick him up, it just takes time, patience and confidence.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  19:03:00  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for the info :D

Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  20:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im a newbie at keeping snakes but My first snake I left alone for nearly 2weeks out of fear of getting used to him he went blue as well but I felt the time I left him alone has done him the world of good! 5weeks later he is the friendliest snake I know, he no longer hides in his hides he sleeps out in the open on a plant and enjoys being handles he is relaxed and a super snake to have! Im so glad we learnt together!
On the other hand I got a second snake,, in false confidence from my first I handled her on day 2, she bit me! so I andled her again on day 3 and 4! again she bit me both times! ... I had to realise I needed to go back to the way I handled Charlie my first, I left him alone totally to accustom to his new home and went in slowly... so yesterday after leaving her alone a few days (she shed inbetween) I handled her and fed her with success .. she took a while to realise food was there but I have learnt a valuble lesson! The settling in period is MOST important for even the most confident of snake owners!
Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  21:16:02  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am going to totally leave him alone for 7 days, then see how picking him up goes before feeding next Saturday.
Thanks for the tips :)

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  21:23:19  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
By the way, thanks for the video Bob.
That's the first time I have ever seen a snake drink.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  22:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcome, it was the first time I'd seen it too, took me by surprise. He does it every time now, and usually straight after a water change so you'll see it first hand soon enough.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  08:22:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol i should have read this thread first........congrats on the first feed

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  11:20:08  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am rather looking forward to seeing him drink first hand, so far he has just hidden in his hide apart from feeding time when I removed it to give him a little more space (don't know if that was right or not).
And thanks Gp :) I was rather excited when he stopped headbutting it and opened up lol.

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  12:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh,heh I always though they did that nose nudging thing because they were working out which end the head was. Obviously not though as Loki has had numerous pinkies bum first lol!!
They look sweet when they drink

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
591 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  17:45:05  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They do look sweet when they drink I agree with that.
Totally opposite to what I expected.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000