Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 I did it! Tiko's first feed! Lots of text!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2010 :  17:21:20  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh my. Well I have done it, Tiko has been fed - lets hope it stays down. It wasn't the artistic masterpiece I had planned.

Woke him up and got him out fairly easily, put him in his big RUB to feed in. Warmed mouse etc and dangled it in a lifelike way! He pounced, took it straight away and constricted. He looked lovely - there will be pics next time but I was too focussed to take any today!

His mouse was the right size for him as I measure it against his shed, my finger, anything that was Tiko sized and he got it down in about 10-15 mins (it may have been less but it felt like a year!). So all was going well and I left him for a little bit to let it go down - which it actually did - i saw it!! Then I came to "gently place him back in his home". Yeah right. Tiko thought better of trusting me and did some strike poses and generally tried everything to get away, I was concerned about him being stressed so I took the RUB over to his house and tilted it so he would slither off on his own - he did this and I was applauding my own brillaince when he decided to try and have a look around the living room, I had to grab him (gently!!) and put him away when he scuttled off in a bit of a strop. If this mouse stays down it will be a miracle. I tried my absolute hardest and I hope it will get easier with experience. Poor Tiko. Food then a bungee jump. Any tips for next week?

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2010 :  18:10:14  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glad the feed went well!
:D

I used to use a pencil to get Doyle back in after feeding when he was little hahaa, now I just feed him in his viv with paper towels down :)

Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2010 :  18:17:39  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats a great idea, i am def feeding him in his viv net time - if he ever forgives me! He is still in his faunarium but his viv comes this weekend so next week should be easier!!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2010 :  18:28:48  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A wee word of caution...feeding in the viv can make some snakes viv defensive. You did right to gently persuade him to go back in by taking him in the rub to his faun and letting him slide in!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2010 :  18:44:20  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks h/fan, I am just pleased it is done, I guess a week is a long time and he is going to have some handling this week to get used to us too, so fingers crossed he will be ok next time, he is a bigish boy (36") anyway so hopefully he will get over it!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2010 :  21:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done. 3 feet, he is a big boy. I would be very reluctant to feed in the viv I wouldn't want my snake thinking dinner time every time I open the door. Definitely increases the chances of getting bitten. There is a golden rule I've seen on here SNAKE TO FOOD NOT FOOD TO SNAKE.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2010 :  08:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Well done. 3 feet, he is a big boy. I would be very reluctant to feed in the viv I wouldn't want my snake thinking dinner time every time I open the door. Definitely increases the chances of getting bitten. There is a golden rule I've seen on here SNAKE TO FOOD NOT FOOD TO SNAKE.

I don't always agree with this- I have been feeding all of mine in their vivs for ages now- not a single problem has arisen.

No nipping, striking, "hunting" my hand- nada.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2010 :  09:41:57  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, I will try again in the RUB next week and see how it goes, we will handle him after tomorrow anyway for the 1st time so hopefully he will get more used to us. Yes 36" is quite big i suppose but he is only slim as quit young i think (he was a rescue snake so no records) so doesnt feel threatening or anything. I have checked on him this morn to change his water and he looked at me in disgust! Can't smell regurg mouse though so fingers crossed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000