New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sadie_Hunt
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  19:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cornelius started to shed about an hour ago. I didn't know until my friend who was in my room said she had been watching him out and about, and as he has been hiding away I instantly ran to see if it was shedding time, which it was. So yay for watching him shed.
Now the bad bit. About a cm has come away from his head but the rest is very much patchy and coming off in pieces. I have soaked him in some warm water which helped a bit but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to help him? This is his first shed with me so I want it to go as smoothly as possible.

1.0.0 Normal Corn Snake - Cornelius

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  20:16:49  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If it's still abit patchy you could try to get a damp towel and let him roll around in that, or a pillow case
We used to stick our burmese pythons in duvet covers to help them shed :)

Go to Top of Page

Sadie_Hunt
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  20:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you :) he has now finished shedding but it was very patchy. I will remember those ideas for next time though :)

1.0.0 Normal Corn Snake - Cornelius

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  20:35:00  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I'm glad he's finished shedding now all well
Next time he may just shed all in one piece (fingers crossed) :)

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  20:35:31  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Next time when you notice him going into shed pop a moist hide in his viv. It can be made from an old ice-cream tub, or something similar, and just put some damp, not wet, spag moss in it. Also move the water to the warm side. That should bring the humidity in the viv up enough for a clean shed.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

smiffy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  21:12:49  Show Profile  Click to see smiffy89's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
gotta agree with herriot on this 1 i allways put moss in hides when any of em due for shedding it really helps never had a bad shed yet
Go to Top of Page

Inkygirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
256 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  21:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the tips as soon as i notice her eyes going I will put some moss in too x

1 Bearded Dragon, Gino
1 Terrapin, Tulip
1 Iguana, Edward
3 Corns Cora, Travis,Leon
and Angus
1 Normal Royal Python, Lexi
1 Boa Constrictor, Zara
1 Granite Burmese Python Bernie

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2010 :  12:57:31  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yep the old water bowl on the mat is always a good way to raise humidity in the viv however if you do this make sure you place another bowl of water in the cold end as no one likes drinking warm water

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2010 :  13:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might wanna check the very tip of his tail if it was a bad shed. They can sometimes need a hand with that if it they were having trouble!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000