New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cornaking
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  21:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey folks, sorry if this is a repeat thread.

I currently have quite small snakes still living in faunarium type set ups but am already thinking about the future and the set-ups they will move into as growing snakes and eventually fully grown adults.

I have read conflicting information about what size of viv a corn snake and kingsnake require when fully grown. Some people say 2.5 - 3ft is big enough and other people say 4ft is better so wondered if anyone can clear that up for me.

I am also anticipating that in the future I am going to want more snakes or other reptiles lol - you'll understand and wanted to ask what the members on here have set-up wise for your corns or other snakes and of course what ideas you would have for myself

Thanks in advance

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  21:42:07  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have each of my snakes housed in individual vivs, some are stacks measuring 36x16x16, others are vivs ranging in size from 30x15x15 up to 48x18x18.
Average size for an adult is around the 36x18x18 (or 36x15x15) I would imagine.
Unless you go the route of rubs.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  22:54:46  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
3' is ok but 4' is better,i keep mine in 3' vivs and their fine

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  01:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Average size for an adult is around the 36x18x18 (or 36x15x15) I would imagine.
Unless you go the route of rubs.

Can somebody confirm to me what a RUB actually IS?? I was under the impression it was just a plastic box??

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  01:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Can somebody confirm to me what a RUB actually IS?? I was under the impression it was just a plastic box??

it is just a plastic box , RUBS

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  01:18:58  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is indeed basically a plastic box.
RUB is a brand name for Really Useful Box, but I call any plastic tub that I use for housing a rub.

This is a plastic storage box from wilkos, I still call it a rub:

Each side is clipped down on that with the handle, the clips holding the middle section down are a bit pants, hence why the ratchet strap in the middle.
The reason I still call it a rub is because it's a box that has been really useful, it's been a home for a snake, a hospital section for a snake, a bath for an iguana and now is being used to hold tools.

A proper branded RUB is usually more expensive, but the quality is reflected in the price.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  08:11:09  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that does sound like a really useful box lol

i'd still call it a tub though as it's not a branded RUB

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  12:53:09  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is indeed not a RUB, although to be honest I call them various things ranging from rubs, to placcy box.
Even the branded rubs just get called a 'plastic box' is this house.

Go to Top of Page

cornaking
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  13:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oooo those rubs do come in very handy dont they, that's what I have Ozzy in just now until he gets bigger

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2010 :  20:08:24  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Depends on how big snakey is. Plastic tubs are a lot easier to clean than vivs, but I'm finding it hard to even find a 2ft x 1ft RUB, cannot fit anything wider. And the long you go, the wider they get so if you only have like a specific amount of room... :(

There's many "guides" like length of snake = length + depth of viv/RUB or 1 square ft for every ft of snake but some snakes wouldn't even use all that room. Guess it could depend on how active your snake is and if there's any nice nice snake furniture you want to fit in the viv.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000