Is this a good set up.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gazza89
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  10:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I currently have 2 corn snakes (i no people say its bad) in a 3ft vivarium, they are still fairly small and have ample room. In this viv i have a heat mat to give the heat required.

i also currently have a boa constrictor which i will be moving from a 3ft tank to a 6ft tank.

In the 3ft tank i have a lower level UV tube light and a high power heat bulb to heat the tank which is on a thermostat. i am planning to move the corn snakes into this tank. Do corn snakes need a heatmat or can they just have the to bulbs. I believe corn snakes dont need UV lighting so i will swap this light to a normal bulb.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  11:16:39  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Corns can have bulbs as long as they're guarded and aslong as there is still a hot and cold end with the correct temps
Personally though I prefer heatmats, others don't mind

and you're right, corns don't need UV :)

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  11:32:09  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As Rachie has said. The UV you can ditch. Wether you go bulb or mat is personal preference. I use mats coz I find them easier to manage temp wise and neither of my two snakes have ever complained. If you do use a bulb (any bulb) it must be guarded as corns have a habit of wrapping around them and they could get burned or even crush the bulb. The other thing is you describe the new home as a tank. If its a converted aquarium be sure to secure the lid well as corns are really really good at escaping.
If you choose to cohabit thats up to you really. I dont and all i would say to you is make sure you have provision to seperate them at a moments notice ie have a rub or similar standing by with a heatmat etc so you can seperate them should they decide they dont like eachother any more.

hope that helps

cheers

steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

gazza89
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  11:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi thanks for this, i tend to say tank by mistake, the two i have at the minute are wooden vivs, properly built. The the 6ft one i am buying for the boa is also a wooden viv, as its only £50 i may aswel buy it now and set it up rather than waiting a few months and paying more for one.

So far they have been fine together, i have a heat mat etc just incase.

I think i mite just go the bulb route as it is already set up in the tank and the other tank i am getting has it built in already so need to swap. Can always go back to heat mat if it doesn't work out but im sure it will do as the boa seems fine with the current set up.

Within the next couple of weeks i will have this for sale, http://www.valuevivariums.co.uk/vxc36-vivarium-cabinet-vivexotic-inch-ellmau-beech-p-3968.html if anyone is interested send me a message with an offer. In VGC, its the one the corns are in at the minute.
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  12:15:33  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well you seem to have it all sorted so go for it and enjoy the experience. I would read the thread on co habiting tho. If you are fully aware of the risks and are prepared for the worst then at least you have done your bit so to speak although you may decide (whilst you have a spare viv) to seperate them. I would but thats just my personal opinion as i love my snakes to bits and if i were to wake up one day and find one of them had been eaten or whatever i would be in bits but thats totally your choice. Thing i have learned with corns is they are all individual so there really is no right or wrong way just a case of adapting to the snake. In your case you may have two that will happilly tollerate eachother. In any case welcome to the world of cornsnake keeping lol.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  12:28:45  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use bulbs for mine with a habistat dimming thermostat and, touch wood, never had any problems.
Just make sure to use a guard.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

gazza89
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  12:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't got the room to seperate them as i have to many pets in my room lol. I have read through the thread, and i have heard the horror stories but have lso heard people haven't had any problems, so i am just going to risk it and hope that nothing happens.

Thanks herriotfan, that will be the exact same set up as i will be having so im defo going to go that route.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000