Always in cool end?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  19:38:05  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else snake spend time only in the cool end? Tiko has been here a few days now and only spends time in the cool end (about 22-24 degrees depends on time of day etc). Warm end is about 29-30 and he only ever shuffles over it for a min or two. There is lots more substrate in the cool end so i am guessing he is maybe just comfy, but whenever i come back from work etc and its dark he is always sitting in his water bowl - not totally, just chilling out in there. Is this just his personality or should I be worried??
Thanks guys
Lucy

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  19:43:35  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry. He probably comes out at night and has a warm up. My Sid hides in his flowerpot in the cool end all the time but he's normally out and about in the late evening.
He could also be aware of the season changes and cooling down for the winter, maybe?

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  19:52:02  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know what, he is such a monkey, he has just sat inside his cardboard tube, right on top of the heat mat!!! making me look like a fool so soon!!!!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  20:39:58  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lucyloop

You know what, he is such a monkey, he has just sat inside his cardboard tube, right on top of the heat mat!!! making me look like a fool so soon!!!!

lol typical, I bet he's got a big wide grin on his face too!!!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  09:15:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
try knocking the stat down a degree or even two, he might not like it quite that hot
also make sure the warm hide is just as appealing as the cool one - in size, privacy, direct light etc

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  09:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reducing temp a good point I recently did this for Ghengis and he now spends a lot more time in the warm end. Wasn't too bothered in the Summer but as Winter approaches this seems to have done the trick.

Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  12:36:58  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks guys i will make the changes when i get back later on. I have only a thin layer of substrate in the warm end - so it gets warm and doesnt insulate - reckon its worth making it a bit more fluffy for him as he seems to love burying himself in it??
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  22:12:29  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd just put some decor (rock, leaf, plant) in front of the hide entrance to provide a bit more privacy........and turn it so you can't look directly into the hide either

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  08:25:49  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I am going to move the hides as when he pokes his head out he is staring at us and us at him so its probably a little un-nerving. Will turn them to the side.Have ordered a plant which should come today so I can put that in too. Thanks Ginger P. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000