New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wagner1966
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  06:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting excited about first feed tuesday night but now not sure how/when to defrost pinkies. Was going to get it out of the freezer monday night and leave for about 24 hours - does that sound ok? Daft question I know but want to make sure everything goes ok.
Cheers

3.0.0. Amal Corn - Arnold, common corn - Adam, snow corn - Jigsaw

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  08:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah thats fine - i put my mice in a sandwich bag and leave on top of a viv for 12hours and then blast them with a hairdryer to warm them up a bit and make them more appetising

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  09:08:29  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
24hrs will defrost a rabbit for my boas an hour or so is all it'll take for a pinkie

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  09:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put mine in a bag in warm water for 10-15 minutes works fine

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  09:49:35  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the first feed.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  10:41:06  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We took a hopper out to defrost and then put it in warm water to heat up and the damn thing fell apart grrr. So we are going back to putting it in hot water.

Definitely put it in hot water but not boiling to defrost and heat up.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango
Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  11:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the first feed!

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  11:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lokis pinkies go in a freezer bag and then into a mug of warm water. I give them a squeeze after 10 mins or so to see how warm/soft they are and then put some more warm water in the mug as in this weather its usually gone cold in that time.
I usually give them 25 mins or so just to be sure. Make sure the waters not too hot as you could end up cooking them.

Good luck with it,its amazing to watch

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  12:28:02  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i leave mine on top of the viv in a margarine tub for a couple of hours then give them 2 or 3 mins in a plastic bag in hot water. Seems to work fine

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  12:51:01  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My pinkies only usually take about half an hour to defrost. Then i put it in a sandiwch bag in warm water to warm a little before feeding.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

wagner1966
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  17:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies chaps. Plenty of different ways to go. Think I'll take them out in the morning and give them 12 hours. Like the idea of warming them up slightly before feeding time - never thought of that.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  01:40:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
12 hours is about 11 hours longer than needed to defrost a pinkie. I give it an hour and a half (extra half to be absolutley certain its room temp right through) then, just to be sure I hold it in my hand for a minute or two, this not only warms it up but you'll feel if its still frozen which unlss your house is freezing it wont be. Once defrosted all meat starts to deteriorate, I would have issues about eating any food if it had been sat at room temp for 11 hours, so I wouldnt expect my animals to do the same. Best bet is feed it to them while still as fresh as it can be.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  09:12:04  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah, in 12 hours it'll have defrosted and started to go off......

heating it immediately before feeding will get a better response from your snake, the plastic bag in warm water method is good for pinkies, we use a hair drier to heat everything we feed (from mouse pinkies to rabbits)

Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  09:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must admit I have heard (via a third party) of a Snake having to visit the vet after the owner fed food left to defrost overnight.

Go to Top of Page

wagner1966
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  10:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put the pinkies out this morning and will have a look lunchtime and do the feed then. Thanks again

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  22:09:54  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigal

Must admit I have heard (via a third party) of a Snake having to visit the vet after the owner fed food left to defrost overnight.

hmmmm, not sure if that would be the sole reason/cause............i've left pinkies in with hatchies for 24hrs to get them to eat, it's not ideal though

Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  09:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest don't know the full facts info came via a third party. Gues its just like humans you can get "dodgy" food that gives you a tummy upset.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  11:39:39  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yeah Id be inclined to believe something else was amiss too. As GP says I too have left food in overnight its not ideal but hey you gotta do what you gotta do when they wont feed immediately. Personally I think 12 hours is too long for pinkies on a regular basis. As a last resort yeah but id prefer my snakes to get food as close to fresh as possible.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  15:04:10  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I leave mice overnight they tend to start going a funny colour and smell funny by the evening. Ever since then I've just put the mouse in a sandwich bag and left it in cold water for an hour and then put it in warm water for 10-20 minutes. They've always been thoroughly defrosted by then.

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  20:03:34  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
After 12 hours I know they are yucky... as in their juices seem to explode out for me haha XD in 24 hours... they stink and are all dried up. I leave my pinkies to be defrosted for an hour, jumbo ice 8 hours which is probably excessive but hey, I treat mice like I would do frozen peas/sausages :)

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000