New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mightymeated
Egg

53 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  21:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i have just started to set my viv up. i bought it from ebay :(
when it arrived the heat mat was glued to the back wall. so my question is should it be on the back wall or should it be on the floor. the person who delivered it advised me that corn snakes should not be on direct heat! im unsure as i thought these were floor heat pads. also it arrived with a normal house bulb fitted. is this right or do they need a basking lamp... can any one advise me cheers :)

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  21:46:12  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Corns infact need direct heat seeing as they absorb it from the things they touch rather than air, the only time this is dangerous is if the temperatures are too high which is why you need a stat. As for the bulb they dont need to bask at all but that bulb MUST have a guard because the temperature will be too high if the snake touches it.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  21:56:33  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The bulb will be purely for viewing purposes. If you intend to keep it then it needs to be guarded if not then it may be best to remove the fitting.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  00:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you'll need that pad on the ground alright! Try a stanley knife to get it off the back wall? Hope you manage to detach it without breaking it! Be a pain to need a new one. Good luck!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog

Edited by - Katie.Dublin on 21/10/2010 00:19:42
Go to Top of Page

mightymeated
Egg

53 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  16:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi thanks for all advice. i have now got the heat pad off the wall without braking it. although i did have to replace the backing board afterwards. so now the heat mat is on the floor i have another question. the heat mad gets plugged in to the habistat so what temp does the habistat need to be set at. also whats the best thing to use to cover the viv floor. cheers :)

life love and liberty for all :0)
Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  16:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may aswell ignore the temp markings on the stat, they're about as useful as a chocolate filled inflatable dartboard teapot! The temperature of the mat need to be between 27-29 degress c, you will need to measure this with a thermometer, again a digital one is best as the dial ones are not what id call accurate.

You can use a few different substrates for the viv floor, personally i use aspen but wood chip (not pine!), aubiose and kitchen towels are all suitable.

Check out the caresheet, it will tell you a lot of things you need to know

All the best and piccies of the snake please!

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

mightymeated
Egg

53 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  17:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks. i havent actually got my snake yet want to get the viv set up and running properly before i buy one. there is also a sensor attached to the habistat can you tell me where this goes. cheers :)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  17:22:16  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
On the black mat of the mat, it's better if the probe touches the mat directly rather than substrate as they have a habit of moving the substrate out of the way at times and end up sitting on the mat directly.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mightymeated
Egg

53 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  17:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi thanks for all responses. i think i have the basic knowledge now to prepare a suitable home for my snake. so now i just need to buy the snake. and im sure there will be a lot more questions once i get him.:) thanks again much appreciated :)

Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  18:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck! Anymore questions then dont be afraid to ask, the only stupid ones are the ones we dont!

I do just want to issue a quick warning though - cornsnakes are highly addictive, you may only just be getting your first but i guarantee it wont be your last!

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000