New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  14:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its me again, sorry if I am being a nuisance. We got our adult corn back in feb. The people who we got him off had kept with no heat mat as it had broken, the only heat he had was being pushed near a radiator and the uv strip light which they left on all the time. We put a new heat mat in straight away. 2 weeks after getting him he shed complete. However since then he has had problems shedding. Do you think that the uv light could have been drying the air out to much? We turned the uv light off 2 months ago as it was making the overall air temp in the 80's. He has literally just shed and it is complete except the very tip of his tail which I will remove this evening. Is this just coincidence or was it the lights drying effect of the air causing shedding problems? What do you think? I am worried that if we don't use the light the temps will drop in the winter to the mid 60's (this happened in march) except on top of the heat mat which stays in the high 70's - low 80's.

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  14:44:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
UV isn't needed for snakes and the flickering can cause upset. it shouldn't make much difference to the ambient temp or the humidity either. if your heatmat is statted it should stay at the set temperature (more or less, depending on the stat) you just might find your snake spending more time in the warm end of it's enclosure

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000