Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  23:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I have a heating pad for my viv (forgot what kind, zoomed or exo) it has one side where you can peel off and stick it to the glass which I did not do so I can move it as I like. But right now I have it taped to the side of the tank (zoomed double door with screen top) it don't seem to be putting out enough heat though. I put it under the tank as well but after awhile I will put my hand on the inside of the tank on the glass and its really hot, almost wanting to shake my hand hot. The zoomed cage does prop up some for airflow as well. What can I do with my heat pad for right now?

To who ever says throw it away and get a new one, I plan on it soon but what can I do with this one in the meantime? I thought about wrapping a layer of tinfoil around it. Lol

What people have identified my corns as.

0.1.0 - Rosie - Caramel or Hypo Motley
1.0.0 - Houdini - Amber or Caramel
1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  01:49:04  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have you got it running off a stat??
If it's getting hot, then it's obviously working, so why throw it away?? But to get hot enough to make you really feel it with your hand is overheating, so the mat needs to have temperature controller on it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  05:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it's not running off anything right now, just plug it in and has its one setting. doesn't even seem like it warms the cage at all though. I have a temp guage in the viv and it's always at 80f which i guess is the normal range you want it anyway. but the snakes do snuggle up really close to the glass where i have it taped to the side of the glass.

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  18:09:35  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The mats aren't designed to heat the air, they're designed to be contact heaters, so anything in contact with the will be what warms up.
If it's on the side of the glass, they'll be snuggling as close to it as possible because they'll feel the cold from elsewhere in the tank and the warm radiating through the glass.
Another issue with glass tanks and unstat'd mats is they will eventually crack the glass.
If you can pick-up a stat (ministat 100, on/off stat etc) and attach that as well, then you'll get much better temps at the bottom of the viv when you move the mat.
I wouldn't move the mat to underside the viv until you've got a stat, they are essential to heat mats although 99% of rep shops wont tell you that as it's another cost that could potentially put you off a sale.

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  20:27:32  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure you're meant to remove that plastic sheet...haha
I would also say it's probably better to put it underneath the glass, (with a stat) so that they can get to the warmth better, since they cant lie vertically up the glass, rather than trying to squidge and snuggle against the glass
I have a glass tank, my heat mat is stuck to the bottom, with a stat and it's fine :)

Edited by - rachiepotatoe on 19/10/2010 20:29:20
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  20:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well with a stat do I just plug the mat into it? Or do I have to buy a whole new mat as well?

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  20:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the mat you have will just plug into the stat, no need to buy a new mat

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  22:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about buying a hygrometer from zoomed, will that work?

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  22:33:40  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hygrometer are not required for corns.
A digital thermometer though is a highly recommended piece of kit. Those little round dial ones are only good as decoration really, ambient temps will be measured with that, and you don't need ambient temps to be measured.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  23:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the hygrometer will control humidity and heat. I bought a reptifogger to raise the humidity a little to help shed, but not to high so I don't cause RI.

So just buy a digital thermometer and a reg stat for the heat mat and I'd be fine?

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2010 :  23:43:59  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You really don't need the fogger as the only thing you need to help them shed is a box with slightly damp moss in. Even if you don't have the fogger on high, you stand the risk of your corns getting RI.

Just out of interest does all your Corns housing have no stats?

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  00:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't even turn the fogger on that long, long enough to raise the humidity a little (20 seconds)

And I have my corns in one viv at the moment. (They get along just well) they will remain like that for another month or so untill I get a house and buy stack cages or try building my own.

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  02:44:16  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When you build the stacks if you get the same size and wattage mats for all then you should technically be able to run about 4 mats from one stat.
Obviously this is stat depending. Pulse prop stats will be better for that, but the price is higher for pulse props, compared to ministats.

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  08:49:53  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Please dont think Im being rude but I dont think you should of purchased the snakes yet, you should have read into it. Sounds to me like you dont know what you should know. I suggest buy a stat and seperate your corns then do some reading.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  15:25:16  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Tiffany, you have 7 Corns in one viv which is way too many.

You'd be be better taking them back to where you got them from and ask them to keep them for you whilst you sort all their housing out.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  17:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, because i house my corns together then i should take them back and i don't know squat. Well let me break the news to you, only you uk guys are saying i shouldn't house them, EVERY pet shop, reptile store, etc i've been to say there is no reason why i can't house them together. They get along just fine with each other. This site is pathetic, i came here for advice and help and all i get is a bunch of downers telling me to bring my snakes back......what a lovely website/forum. i'll surely recommend this site to alot of snake owners....

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  17:49:50  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryanred5

I agree with Tiffany, you have 7 Corns in one viv which is way too many.

You'd be be better taking them back to where you got them from and ask them to keep them for you whilst you sort all their housing out.

quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

Please dont think Im being rude but I dont think you should of purchased the snakes yet, you should have read into it. Sounds to me like you dont know what you should know. I suggest buy a stat and seperate your corns then do some reading.
Tiffany-x

I have a near 4ft boa in a 4ftx18inchx18inch viv.
Inside that viv also lives a 15 inch boa and....... A 15 inch Kingsnake.
Should I bring mine back to the shop?????

Personal attacks = not nice.

Cohabiting is NOT an issue to be brought up in this thread, there is a specific co-habiting thread available which has already been posted in, please use that.

quote:
Originally posted by Decadence

......i came here for advice and help and all i get is a bunch of downers telling me to bring my snakes back......what a lovely website/forum. i'll surely recommend this site to alot of snake owners....

I understand you would've been a bit miffed off with some posts, however dropping an email to a mod would be easier and a bit more tactful.

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 20/10/2010 17:53:42
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  18:15:43  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I did nothing wrong in what I said. And dont worry, you are right about the forum, Ive been here a few months and its not what I thought it was either.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  18:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not what it is because of people like you (no offense) You have your opinion about housing and other things and because somebody isn't doing what you do, you get defensive and try to set them straight rather then helping them out....i actually think this website is great for people to come to for advise but they can do without that kind of input...help people...don't put them down.

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  18:26:25  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Decadence makes a good point and although you (Tiffany) may not have thought there was nothing wrong with what you said, its the way it was typed which may cause offence. You have to remember that when typing you can't emphasise things, if not typed in a certain way it is very easily taken the wrong way.

Editted to add, Decadence im sorry that you feel the way you feel but people are just trying to show their concerns for your snakes health and safety, but sometimes wires are crossed and some of the comments can seem quite harsh. Especially on such a discussed and frowned upon topic.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 20/10/2010 18:28:26
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  18:39:04  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah I am sorry if it came across the wrong way but it wasnt supposed to, you must just remember that it can cause great harm in your snakes, esp being so young.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000