Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

princess
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  21:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys i think its time i got back into to hand of handling the cornsnakes..

i was literally petrified of snakes but my partner eased me into handling the cornsnakes slowly but one day whiskey decided to try and tag me and went all scetish as you might have read in an earlier post a few months ago..

i am now going to try and handle the baby amel fire tonight while shes active to try and settle back in with the snakes.. my only problem is i am really scared and dont think i can do it..

i handled whiskey when he was about 2ft long and fire is 12inch and i just cant bring myself to do it... i really wanna do it and i work myself up as i have done it before but whiskey soon put me off..

any suggestions on how to ease my self back into it would be a big help as hiper2009 tried to by holding the head but i still couldnt bring myself to it ..

Caramel Cornsnake CB09 -Whisky.

3 Dogs Meg,Roxy & Buster
2 Cats Monty & Carlo
2 Birds Dorris & Borris
1 Hamster Alfie
( No You Cannot Feed It To The Snakes)

<3 Hiper2009 <3

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  21:16:51  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
maybe wear gloves the first few times? and a long sleeve t-shirt. just to put your mind at ease. any bites wont make it through to the skin then (but im sure there wont be any bites)

keep handling sessions really short, maybe start at just a 30 second hold or even less. build up a minute at a time.

try to remember the first time you got used to handling snakes & felt confident, im sure you felt the thrill of handling a snake. remember the good things is the point im making.

Cornsnakes 1.0.0 Cassius, Carolina, CB-22/07/10
Dogs 1.0.0 - Gorman, Black Labrador

Location Lincoln UK
My Photography http://lewiscarrington.deviantart.com/gallery

Edited by - clintham on 18/10/2010 21:20:37
Go to Top of Page

princess
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  21:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thankyou..
i did that last time wearing a long sleeved top but i think fire is abit small to hold on to my arm im sure she wont bite but im very curious as off when whiskey tried to tag my face ill give it ago any way thanks for the help

3 Dogs Meg,Roxy & Buster
2 Cats Monty & Carlo
2 Birds Dorris & Borris
1 Hamster Alfie

<3 Hiper2009 <3
Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  21:22:23  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have never been bitten, but i guess you have 'get back on the horse' as the saying goes. keep us updated

Cornsnakes 1.0.0 Cassius, Carolina, CB-22/07/10
Dogs 1.0.0 - Gorman, Black Labrador

Location Lincoln UK
My Photography http://lewiscarrington.deviantart.com/gallery
Go to Top of Page

princess
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  21:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes ill keep you all updated on my slow progress

3 Dogs Meg,Roxy & Buster
2 Cats Monty & Carlo
2 Birds Dorris & Borris
1 Hamster Alfie

<3 Hiper2009 <3
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  21:38:33  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Although the larger snakes can sting a fair bit sometimes (depending on pain tolerances) the smaller ones very rarely break the skin, so try it with some thinnish gloves first, then gradually move to let it nip you.

As hard as you'll find it, once you realise that the bite from dinky snakes doesn't hurt then you'll gain confidence with the snake and the snake will learn that there's no point in biting you as even when/if they do bite you still wont let them go.
So there'll end up being no point in biting.

Obviously making sure you don't handle any rodents of any kind (rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters etc) for a couple hours before hand and give your hands/arms a rub down as well should minimise all risks of getting tagged.

If all else fails, Pics. It's the rules.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

princess
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  21:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the advise phil ill take that into concideration of being tagged haha im sure her bite wont hurt at all and if it didit prob wouldnt break my skin but im more scared of picking her up than anything at the moment im know i can do it but its growing a pair to do it..?? ash is always saying itsnot going to hurt and to wear gloves but what gloves is best to wear.??

3 Dogs Meg,Roxy & Buster
2 Cats Monty & Carlo
2 Birds Dorris & Borris
1 Hamster Alfie

<3 Hiper2009 <3
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  21:52:30  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Why don't you just let Ash hold her and guide her gently over your hands and arms a few times until you feel happy with that. Then when you're ready you gently guide her but Ash stay very close so he's ready to take her if you need him to. Gradually build up the time you've got her until you feel happy to hold her on your own without Ash there at all!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  22:01:19  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

Why don't you just let Ash hold her and guide her gently over your hands and arms a few times until you feel happy with that. Then when you're ready you gently guide her but Ash stay very close so he's ready to take her if you need him to. Gradually build up the time you've got her until you feel happy to hold her on your own without Ash there at all!

My little sisters mate wanted to hold one of my snakes, but didn't like going into the tank to pick them up because if they looked up at the hand she was scared it would bite. I picked reggie up and let him go onto her hand and noe whenever she's in mine she handles them, even after getting tagged by casper.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

princess
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  22:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks ill give it ago but i think ill always have ash there as i have never really bin an expert in handling snakes id handle whiskey but ash was always there to watch incase something went wrong lol im sure itll help by having ash gentle put her on me but i think ill probably back out of it again like i have for the past week i think im gunna wear some gloves andtry it that way to get the feel of it again to see if that helps build my confidence up again ..

3 Dogs Meg,Roxy & Buster
2 Cats Monty & Carlo
2 Birds Dorris & Borris
1 Hamster Alfie

<3 Hiper2009 <3
Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  22:05:26  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:

My little sisters mate wanted to hold one of my snakes, but didn't like going into the tank to pick them up because if they looked up at the hand she was scared it would bite. I picked reggie up and let him go onto her hand and noe whenever she's in mine she handles them, even after getting tagged by casper.

This is how I let my nieces hold Ember, my 3 footer lol. I start off by holding her, and let them stroke her and hold their hands out so she can slide over them until they're holding them by themselves.

My only advice is to be wary of hatchling's as they can be a lot faster than bigger snakes, and if they suddenly get skittish you need to be ready just in case. Keep Ash with you so if the little one does get antsy he can take it from you and put it away.

You'll get there though =] It just takes a little bit of time.

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn - Loki.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
1.1.0 Cats - Moggy and Pretty Girl.
0.0.1 Royal Python - Odin R.I.P 20/6/10.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Location = Chatham, Kent.
Go to Top of Page

princess
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  22:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

i think thats my problem going into the tank and being tagged but fire is only 12inchs long so i dont know what im scared off but i just work my self up into a panic

3 Dogs Meg,Roxy & Buster
2 Cats Monty & Carlo
2 Birds Dorris & Borris
1 Hamster Alfie

<3 Hiper2009 <3
Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  22:09:00  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How about you let Ash get the hatchie out, and handle it and you just sit there with him? You don't necessarily even have to touch or hold it, just watch how it moves and such. Then when you feel ready, you can stroke it and let it climb on your hands of its own accord. Just move slow and stay calm, and everything will be fine =]

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn - Loki.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
1.1.0 Cats - Moggy and Pretty Girl.
0.0.1 Royal Python - Odin R.I.P 20/6/10.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Location = Chatham, Kent.
Go to Top of Page

princess
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  22:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scarlett

quote:

quote:

This is how I let my nieces hold Ember, my 3 footer lol. I start off by holding her, and let them stroke her and hold their hands out so she can slide over them until they're holding them by themselves.

My only advice is to be wary of hatchling's as they can be a lot faster than bigger snakes, and if they suddenly get skittish you need to be ready just in case. Keep Ash with you so if the little one does get antsy he can take it from you and put it away.

You'll get there though =] It just takes a little bit of time.

ash has always said that there fast but my little sister was holding her yesteray and she seemed to be fine but after my occurance with whiskey im scared it will happen again i always have ash close by any way to get it off me if i feel unconfortable but its just the head being on me that freaks me out

3 Dogs Meg,Roxy & Buster
2 Cats Monty & Carlo
2 Birds Dorris & Borris
1 Hamster Alfie

<3 Hiper2009 <3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  22:11:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by princess

quote:

quote:

i think thats my problem going into the tank and being tagged but fire is only 12inchs long so i dont know what im scared off but i just work my self up into a panic

If it helps my brothers snake was really defensive when he got it, and when he seen it tag me a few times he really didn't want to pick it up. So i told him that if he went to pick it up and it "S'd up" to close his eyes.

Eventually it bit him a few times but because he had his eyes closed he didn't flinch away, he took the tags and realised that it dosn't hurt, now he's pretty confident although there are times when he says rocky looks at him funny and won't pick him up. But i think thats just because rockys teeth are actually visible, lol.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

princess
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  22:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also to everyone is there a right and wrong time to handle a hatchling..

3 Dogs Meg,Roxy & Buster
2 Cats Monty & Carlo
2 Birds Dorris & Borris
1 Hamster Alfie

<3 Hiper2009 <3
Go to Top of Page

princess
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  22:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by princess

quote:

quote:

If it helps my brothers snake was really defensive when he got it, and when he seen it tag me a few times he really didn't want to pick it up. So i told him that if he went to pick it up and it "S'd up" to close his eyes.

Eventually it bit him a few times but because he had his eyes closed he didn't flinch away, he took the tags and realised that it dosn't hurt, now he's pretty confident although there are times when he says rocky looks at him funny and won't pick him up. But i think thats just because rockys teeth are actually visible, lol.

lol i think id cry if i got tagged by one of the boa's haha but being tagged my a youngster shouldnt be that bad but ive watched ash get tagged by romeo and whiskey and he didnt flinch i think i just work my self up to much about being bitten that i freak out

3 Dogs Meg,Roxy & Buster
2 Cats Monty & Carlo
2 Birds Dorris & Borris
1 Hamster Alfie

<3 Hiper2009 <3
Go to Top of Page

princess
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  22:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RIGHT HERE GOES IVE TOOK ALL YOUR ADVICE AND IM NOW WEARING ONE OF ASH'S LONG SLEEVED TOPS IM READY AND ASH IS GOING TO GET HER OUT.. DEEP BREATH.... HOPEFULLY THERE WILL BE SOME PICKS ON HERE SOON

3 Dogs Meg,Roxy & Buster
2 Cats Monty & Carlo
2 Birds Dorris & Borris
1 Hamster Alfie

<3 Hiper2009 <3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  22:18:18  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't flinch anymore, you get used to it after getting hit a few times, although the biggest iv'e been tagged by is casper who is only around 30 or so inches long.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  22:22:05  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
LOL You guys make me laugh really bad quite entertaining me actually HAHA - Try getting tagged by one of my old corns - ROMEO now he was nasty when he did bite he would not let go he would bite and try coil you and will try and try to eat your hand or arm looool but it didn't hurt

Edited : Just setting up the digital Camera On the tripod and then going to get Fire out for Hayley LOL this is going to be FUN WHOOOPY

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.

Edited by - hiper2009 on 18/10/2010 22:24:02
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  22:22:55  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just never let yourself get tagged by a BCi, that hurts.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000