i do not believe it!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:14:47  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i sat and watched cassius for about an hour and a half tonight. he was particularly active, exploring nearly all his viv at all levels. (i hadnt seen him on the floor much till today & i hadnt seen him move at all for a day or so). i had the glass door open as its better for viewing.

for those that dont know, cassius has been with my 6 days now and is still in his settling in period - nearly 3 months old.

so after all his exploring, he went for a drink, which i also saw (for the second time!) his water bowl is pretty close to the doors, (see HERE) so i just put my hand near the open door. i could not believe it when he finished his drink, then calmly came out onto my hand!
no fuss, no tail rattling, definitely no striking. i held him for a few minutes, as did my wife. only had him out for a total of 5 mins. he wriggled between my fingers and moved from hand to hand. thankfully he didnt seem scared and wasnt too fast!
sadly i wasnt really prepared so no pics but it was totally awesome i was wondering how i was going to get him out for a feed as i have so many fake plants - turns out he comes out of his own accord i hope he does it tomorrow when its pinkie time!

im so happy the first handle went so well even though it was unplanned and ahead of schedule a little.

when i put him back he even spent sometime in his warm hide. i have never seen him there before.

this stuff will seem like small news to most members - been there and done that type of thing. try to think back to a few of your 'firsts' with your first snake - thats how happy i am!

Cornsnakes 1.0.0 Cassius, Carolina, CB-22/07/10
Dogs 1.0.0 - Gorman, Black Labrador

Location Lincoln UK
My Photography http://lewiscarrington.deviantart.com/gallery

sarahw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool, seems like you have a very laid back little snake there

1.2.0cats:felix, whiskers&gizmo
1.0.0staffie tyson
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:21:42  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
seems like a happy snake congrats :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aw glad he was brave enough to venture out - he sounds like a little sweetie

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Lixra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
286 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:29:37  Show Profile  Click to see Lixra's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clintham

this stuff will seem like small news to most members - been there and done that type of thing. try to think back to a few of your 'firsts' with your first snake - thats how happy i am!

I've been keeping reptiles since I was 8, so about 20 years now, and I still get like that, hehe.

First feed, first poop, first shed, it's all momentousness occasions for me. The last group of corns I got, I waited a week for them to settle in and then fed them. They all ate, and I was so happy and excited, I emailed the breeder I got them from expressing my sheer joy and wonder for the moment.

Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:41:40  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HOLY COW

i went upstairs after wrinting that post. intending to go to bed. just one last look i thought.
i turned on his LED's and he was nuzzling the top of the viv. then he started to shed. omg what an evening!
it took about 5 mins start to finish and came off all in 1 piece. he was good enough to show me all of the shedding process and not go where i could not see him too. i feel really priviledged to have seen his first shed with me. i know some people never see a shed.

wow - just wow. my wife saw it all too as she was in the room

to think he was happy to be handled that close to shedding earlier tonight makes me happy too.

again i was totally unprepared - no pics lol gunna keep my camera next to the viv from now on!

Location Lincoln UK

Edited by - clintham on 14/10/2010 22:46:03
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  23:35:52  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
naww bless him... of course he is great i bred him :D lol his mummy shed today to :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  23:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you've got a very cheeky little boy there I have to chase Loki most of the time lol....although he is getting calmer bless him.
The shed is amazing to watch isn't it. I got to see Loki's but was so shocked and amazed I totally forgot to video it....and the camera was right next to me!!
Its like having a baby isn't it and watching in amazement at their development
Hope all goes well with pinkie time tomorrow.although from what you've said I can't see why it wouldn't. Congratulations!

Ps. Don't forget to have your camera on hand

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  03:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vital piece of information - Always keep your camera next to the viv!!

I cant tell you how pleased I am for you and your OH Lewis (its lovely that she seems as taken with Cassius as you are ). And I still get excited if I get the chance to watch mine shed and still sit in amazement watching mine eat....and I've had Kellog for 18 months and Silvesta for a bit less.

The shedding process is something that is so hard to put into words if you tried to describe it to somebody....the way they 'walk' out of their old skin and appear all shiny and new. I am so glad that you got to see it all from beginning to end and that he didnt hide any of it from you (even though he could so easily in his awesome home !). And its great news that it was a full clean shed, so no help needed .

It sounds as though he has settled in very well and he is one confident little snake , I can just imagine how you are your OH felt having him come out for handling so unexpectedly and be so laid back about it.

Hope feeding goes well....there is certainly no reason it shouldnt !

Well done....to both you and Cassius!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  08:50:43  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
im really pleased that my wife likes cassius as much as i do. she was a little nervous to handle him but he was a real gent.

i think im gunna get the video camera set up too lol

will update on the feed later tonight. *crosses fingers*

Location Lincoln UK
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  09:56:15  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Congrats on what sounds to have been an extremely successful evening. It seems you have been very lucky and got an extremely chilled out snakie. I don't think you ever get bored of watching them. Many times I have got distracted and sat watching Peanut trash his viv although I think the kids are beginning to get fed up of the commentary on which of the snakes are peaking out of their hides lol

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  10:35:55  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
aww what a great evening for you :) you have a very well behaved snakey there! :D not that im jealous lol :p

my rescue syd teases me.. she follows me about what i walk past as if to say let me out! then when i open her flap to let her out she likes to strike me.. its all a game to her, i swear i see her laff at me!!

I love kellogs advice tho! always have a camera near by lmao!!u will end up with about 100000 pics but its so worth it... my phones out of memory on snakey pics alone haha!

Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  11:14:50  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
im a bit of a photography boff so im really surprised i havent got any shots yet - will definitely get some soon
i have been too busy being amazed by cassius to take any photos so far! not to mention be unprepared!

Location Lincoln UK
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  17:15:46  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awwww congrats! That's so sweet! n_n

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000