Hatchling death and questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IncurableFlirt
Hatchling

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  20:48:35  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am very upset right now, so forgive me for any errors or anything. This morning when I went to check on my hatchlings, I found my older hatchling from Apopha's first clutch dead. I had fed her the night before, a small pinky. She had taken the pinky no problem and all seemed well. This morning, the pinky was halfway in her mouth (I think she tried to regurg it), but she was dead. I'm so upset, I don't know what happened or could have happened to cause this. I keep the babies in their own little tupperware container (drilled with tiny holes for air) and a water bottle cap filled with water, on paper towels. I kept them in a small rack that is heated on the back with Flexwatt controlled by a Zilla thermostat. When I checked temps, the back (where the tape is) was 82F, the front (which is the cool side) was 78F. I don't know what happened, or what caused her to regurgitate, but it looked as if she couldn't get the pinky out of her mouth. Could she have suffocated? Has anyone else ever had this problem? Should I be worried about my other hatchlings...they all were fine when I checked on them. Could this be some sort of genetic disorder that the others will get? I'm so upset, I don't know what to do. Any help or suggestions would be so gratefully appreciated.

Jenn.
8.8 Royal Pythons
1.0 BCI Boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
1.2 Corn Snakes

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  21:35:26  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear about the little one. Sorry I can't help

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  23:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
am so sorry rip little snakey
honestly i couldnt even begin to suggest a reason as to why its happened, gp might be able to help more but just keep an eye on the others over the next few days to make sure it wasnt a bad pinkie or something

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  09:56:26  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
so sorry for ur loss :( i hope u cant find some answers x

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  10:21:52  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
did you actually see the pinkie going down initally and had it fed before?

your temps and set up sound fine hun, try not to panic about the others
sorry for your loss

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Hatchling

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  16:50:16  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. I still do not know what happened with her, though I have gotten lots of suggestions on other forums I am a member of. The one that makes the most sense is that maybe she had some sort of birth defect internally, and that it either ruptured or that the pinky caused it to finally harm her internally. I have been keeping a very close watch on all of the other babies and no one else that ate seems to be having any trouble. Just to be on the safe side with genetics and all, I plan not to breed Apopha and Adam in the future.

Jenn.
8.8 Royal Pythons
1.0 BCI Boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
1.2 Corn Snakes
Go to Top of Page

sly
Hatchling

United Kingdom
273 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  17:13:32  Show Profile  Click to see sly's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry for ya lose it is a horrible thing to go through when ya loose a pet at a young age

James

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  23:22:37  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i've had the same thing happen to a few of mine earlier this year, its unfortunately 'just one of those things' - some are just not meant to make it :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  20:44:55  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear thiss

All the best for the rest of the hatchies

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2010 :  05:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am so sorry that your hatchling died, I cant begin to imagine how upsetting it must be for you having cared from them from the point of conception to them hatching.

I think Eeji is right, sometimes nature takes its course and there is nothing you could have done about it....this hatchling just wasnt meant to live, harsh as that sounds.

I do hope your other hatchlings stay ok, at least they are eating which is a positive sign and they have managed to keep that food down.

Once again, sorry for your loss.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000