Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  19:44:24  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I always handle my new snakes when the kids are in bed and it's quiet as it gives me chance to guage what kind of temperament they have and to focus solely on the snake instead of being distracted. And a huge plus is that it is quieter for the snakie as it is getting used to all the new smells and being handled. its usually only for a couple of weeks tho.

He may rattle again the next time you pick him up or he may not. But at least now you know that it doesn't mean he is going to strike at you. It may take quiet a few sessions for him to get used to being handled but each time you do it you will get more confident and you will pass that confidence onto him. I'm not to sure when you should feed him but I wouldn't have thought he would need a full week as he is already used to the smells in the house. Saying that it wont hurt him to wait for the week to be up if you want to make sure he is settled properly

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  20:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good advice in hindsight lol! I had up till today only held him when it was quiet. We had guests over today and the kids were excitable and they wanted to see him so I decided to pick him up and move him whilst they were here. I guess the crowded room and kids all about wasn't his scene! Will look into the feed thing. Im not too concerned if he doesnt take it but could really do without him regurgitating it as It took a lot for me to handle the pinkie (im a big wuss pmsl) never mind have to scrape out a regurgitated decomposing one!! I think I might wait the week to be on the safe side I know it wont hurt him to wait that long im sure :D.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  02:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kdlang has given you great advice about handling Charlie when there is peace and quiet....rather than lots of noise around. I find that even now my adults can get stressed if there are lots of kids around paying them too much attention, especially Silvesta. Doing your handling after the kids have gone to bed is perfect....and then introduce them to him slowly and calmly, maybe not all at once....but only when you are confident in your handling of him. Did you read the thread about Handling? It does give some good tips on how to deal with a nervous snake and explains how natural it is for them to be like that.

As for when to feed him, you probably dont need the full week settling in period as he is used to the smells and sounds of your house....but he is getting used to a new enclosure and has also had a bit of a scare before he got put into his new tank. So I would suggest you leave him for 4/5 days, then feed him, leave him for the necessary 48hrs and then you can start your handling again.

You are doing really well conquering your fears! Having been terrified of snakes you now have one of your own and despite being rather squeamish you are handling pinkies ....wonder what will come next ?!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  14:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What next? a second snake haha... not yet though!
I did read it made for some really good reading, as have a lot of threads on this board!
I plan on leaving him alone for a couple of days esp now as my youngest has come down with shingles! So no doubt she will be taking up a lot of my time day and night as she is only a baby still.
As long as I dont have to brain the mouse OR have to deal with regurgitated one I'm ok pmsl!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000