Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  12:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys I did post when I first needed some assistance on my snake.... snake first :D now ready to come and say HELLO!
Im Dawn, My snake's a baby corn sunglowxNormal 8weeks old and absoloutely gorgeous!

I fed him succesfully on Monday in his little starter tub. He was handled the day I had him but otherwise I've left him alone.
I have a brill 3ft Viv for him but I think he is too small for it so put a 1ft plastic tank in the viv half on the heatmat ready to transfer him into... The thing is when I open his tub he's straight up being nosey and I sort of have to grab him as he's escaping his tub and I held him that way as he proceeded to slither from hand to hand (then was a nightmare to get back in his tub!!)
SOO I have the challenge of moving him again do I go in and pick him up or is it ok just to allow him to attempt his escape and get a grip of him that way? (gently of course).
He is all curled up and looking a bit defensive at the moment absoloutely terrified he is going to strike out at me ( that was the feeding haha I offered him his pinkie and he struck at it with no warning which I wasnt expecting,, now half expecting him to strike at my hand when I go to pick him up...

I've been reading most of your psts, a really great site to gather info and heres to hoping one day I may be as good as you guys for advice when it comes to corns :D .....

p.s how do I upload a pic of Charlie on here?
Pretty nervous about handling him

*moved to intros*

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 06/10/2010 18:43:20

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  12:52:35  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Glad your little snake had no problems feeding. Sounds like he's going to be a striker with his food, that's good!
Don't worry about him biting you, very few do but if it happens it won't hurt. (or so I'm told, up to now I've never been bitten!)
Just be confident and pick him up. You can go about it in any way you feel happiest with. Some snakes will let you just scoop them up or others you might have to gently catch as they make their escape! It's like most things in life, once you've done it the first time you then get more confident each time. Once you've got him let him slither through your fingers and round your hand, he'll settle down gradually.
Can't help with the getting photos on here ....sorry I'm a total nerd on computers!
Glad you like the site. I think I can speak for most of us when I say we are all proud to belong to such a friendly forum!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  14:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Herriotfan :D.

I shall move him later on today maybe when the kids have all settled down to sleep. They are all so excited about their first hold of him but I've kept them at distance until I've handled him a bit so I can get a feeler for what he is really like. My eldest is 7 and a bit skittish herself so if Charlie snake moved suddenly she is likely to throw him in the air and run pmsl so erm yeah I'll gain my confidence with him then introduce him to them later on.
I think im more bothered i've been told if you go in from above snakes feel threatened, the viv is side opening but his tub isnt, neither is the tank he is going into till he has grown a bit more for the viv.
He was fine when I got him out the other day though and hoping he will be this evening... Ill let you know hehe!!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  14:15:43  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Young corns can be very jumpy and fast so when your children first start to handle him it might be a good idea to have them on a double bed or at least standing over a bed. That way if any of them freak out and throw/drop him at least he should, in theory, have a soft landing!
Keep us up to date with his progress.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  16:01:25  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
As for the pics, here is the solution!
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

Remember to post it on the photo session!
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  18:56:44  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya n welcome here :)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  19:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,congratulations on your new little addition. My kids are 8 and 10 and when we first got Loki (7 weeks ago) I got them to sit on the floor in a circle with me so if they did drop him (which never happened) it wouldn't be far and I'd be able to grab him quick.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  21:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a good tip Mort13!! I might try that though my midle child has extra needs shall we say, he would love nothing more to hold him but I NEED to be confident with Charlie before I can trust my kids with him! At the moment everytime I got to unlock the viv my middle son shouts "snake eats mouse" and hides hehe... so cute but to everyone else he is adamant "charlie eat cheese" Bless!!
Anyway I need to hold him right about now and my guts are in my stomache! I cant believe Im so nervous,, its so much better when Charlie is active and just escapes and I catch him. Never had to go in and pick him up so Im really really nervous.... picking up courage atm hehe!
I will look at that site about pics tomorrow that is planning I get some good ones of him when I finaly get the courage to pick him up this eve (dont worry Im not going to bed until Charlie has been picked up :D. I was absoloputely fine and handled him then I fed him and it seems to of totally scared me the way he struck at me (not really me was his feed and he caught the feed and not me! - a lot to learn!! I know he cant hurt me I've just got to tell my shaky hands this lil snake not much larger than a worm can possibly hurt me hehe!
Aww newbie snake owner!!! Cant wait till me and Charlie have accustomed to each other and are the best of friends :D
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  21:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to you are Charlie!
I'm sure it wont take long for the two of you to bond once he realised you are the one that feeds him
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  21:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Figs! He is adorable!!! I dod all the reading I could before I got him but in hindsight think I should of gone and handled snakes before I got him!
Still Im determined to make him one ofmy best friends and whilst im teething at getting to grips with handling him it cant be bad that he gets to sniff my scent and hear my voice and leave him alone so he is learning I'm safe. Though I've had him now 5days so everything is still brilliant for him but I need to be doing my bit now and Im (admittedly having a hard drink to get the courage hehe).
I absoloutely dont know what im scared of because I know he cant hurt me. I think im possibly more scared of hurting him though he seems so friendly, last time I took a peek he uncoiled n came to say hello so I must be doing something right :D... By the end of today I intend on getting him out and saying hello properly :D.... Thats the plan anyway hehe
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  21:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Did it :D I picked him up just fine he came to sniff me but didnt attempt to bite was amazing! Put him back after just a minute of holding him so he knows I wont hurt him as I got the feeling he was slightly anxious so thought little and daily would be great to build upon :D Got a BRILLIANT pic and now im one VERY happy snake owner ¢¾Charlie¢¾
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  21:59:55  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. I'm glad your handling session of Charlie was a success. They are quick little blighters aren't they. I have to try and remember my hatchling isn't as big as my older corns and so there isn't as much length for him to wrap around my hand. I've nearly dropped him several times as I'v run out of snake to hold lol.

He probably didn't get a scent of mouse this time and that is why he didn't try to strike. You should be fine picking him up as long as you haven't been handling any mice first :)

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  22:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just managed to upload a pic,,, tho seems slightly large haha!! Have I done something wrong?? Thats Charlie btw... of course lol
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  22:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done,onwards and upwards from now on then. I must admit I was nervous when I first got Loki. Was so small and he seemed so frightened. He'd go into a strike pose but he never even attampted to bite. I don't even think about it now,he's a true member of the family now
Bless your son,thats so cute of him! I'm sure it won't be long till you're more comfortable and even if you kids just get to stroke him at first then its better than nowt.
Look forward to seeing the piccie of him

0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  22:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pic wasn't there when I typed my reply lol! He's such a little cutie,lovely pic

1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  22:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are something aren't the ~I've always wanted a snake but ALWAYS been terrified but everywhere I read said it is natural human instinct to be scared of snakes, you kust learn to push it aside. Well I picked him up and held him this eve which was amazing and now he is trying al ways to get out of his tub. I have a bigger tank to put him into tomorrow in the viv but I have visitors n once I put him into his new tank I know I have to leave him alone so going to move him tomorrow after guests have left.
Your pic is a lot smaller than mine what did I do wrong?
He didnt even try to bite me which was amazing he came back my way too close to my hand I thought he might but was keeping my cool but he didnt he seemed intrigued then settled in my hand,,, which is when I took the pic! Now he is super active as if he is trying to get out but I darent pick him back up think little and often is much better so he can get used to me picking him up and putting him back without harm coming to him which surely in the long term can only help him become the PREFECT snake :D
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  22:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never been scared of snakes,but spiders are a different story!!
I did the same thing when I first came on here. If you go to photobucket and select edit for your photo,then click on resize it comes up with different sizes......think its small I clicked on.
He sounds like a confident nosey snake,reckon you'll be having some fun with him I just got Loki out for 5 minutes to begin with and he seemed fine. You sound smitten already

1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  22:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Ive resized to small... see how this goes! I hope he turns out to be confident he can lead me then hehe! I only had him out for about a minute or so. I really want him to learn to trust me. As a newbie I dont know their signs of distress or things and hoping I catch on but I get the feeling he wants to come out for more already but I really feel If I work little and often It will be better for my confidence and his in the long run! He is still actively looking for his escape hehe... before he was coiled up uninterested! Sooo tempted to get him back out but dont want to over handle him... want him to see me as something safe :D... Smitten isn't the word lol I absoloutely respect and admire him Always wanted one and the facthe can overcome my fear is so much more :D
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  09:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dizzie, it is really good that you have joined us! It is obvious you have been around for a while on the forum and done some great research, which is wonderful to hear. You will have seen what a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship .

Its obvious you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. You have probably already checked out these threads (but better told twice than not at all ). The best place to look is Care Sheet helpful. Also have a look at Your 1st snake. As it is a hatchling you have then Setting Up A Hatchling Corn Snake - My 101 is definitely required reading!

It sounds like you have done really well getting over your nerves and handling Charlie....and I am not surprised you were nervous having experienced him striking at his pinkie ....amazing isnt it! I also totally understand your concerns about when to get your kids involved. This thread is quite good at giving advice on Handling....and you have already picked up on the most important thing - its is a case of quality not quantity.

In your last post you mention about not knowing signs of destress in Charlie. He is going to be scared naturally at the moment....you try and imagine a great big hand coming down and picking you up ! But as he gets used to you and you get used to him, he should calm down. This is a good thread to help you look out for Signs of Stress.

You have probably already found that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . Like the fact that so many shops will sell a snake with a starter set up, but not let you know that you need a thermostat to control the heatmat and a digital thermometer to monitor the heat - 2 vital pieces of equipment. I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this with Charlie, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

He really is a gorgeous snake! I am not surprised you fell for him and are smitten already ! I cant wait to see how his colours change as he grows being the sunglow x normal that he is.

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  10:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiii (hangover on board lol). Cant believe I needed half a bottle of douch courage last night to actually hold him hehe.. Though glad I did and next step is to handle him without my courage pmsl.
I will have a look at your links incase I havent read them and Thankyou for all the pointers, always helpful :D I love your snake Silvesta!! I was looking at pics on here yesterday of Hatchlings and saw a gorgeous one similar to him I just thought... I mite get one like that later on ... then having a little giggle to myself I've got to get used to the one I have before planning on adding to the collection atleast for a year or two. Not sure my house is big enough for more snakes but hey... the kids may "want one" later on in their rooms :P.
Still not talked the other half into even holding him yet, he thinks im totally crazy... told my neightbour this morning about our addition n she almost ran out the garden pmsl... good considering we have a shared front garden!
Go to Top of Page

dizzie85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  18:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well ~i've just picked Charlie up to move him into his new tank out of his hatchling tub and I really honestly think he doesnt much like traffic noise! The kids were about and as soon as I picked him up he started rattling his tail so I put him straight into his new enclosure within the viv and turned off the light and covered him over so he can get used to his new little home in peace.
Now should I attempt to feed him before a week is up as I know I have to leave him to settle (he was last fed Monday) or should I go ahead and try to feed him again in a few days when he would be due one?
I was surprised I thought I would drop him and panic when he rattled but I didnt I calmly but hastily put him straight into his new setup.

Do you think he will rattle again next time I pick him up (in a weeks time now as he been moved). He didnt bite me though and he had the oppertunity! Think the next month or two I may choose to handle him after the kids are in bed until he has a little more confidence in me :D
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000