Page: of 2

weasle1uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  14:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

hope you haven't taken offence it's not intended but i can be a little blunt at times

No offence taken. its one of those things I need to learn it from some one some where lol. Thanks again.

Thanks mikeyd_24
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  22:06:41  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. You can use alsorts of things for hides - toilet roll tubes cut in half lengthways, small plantpot dishes, a small box, small piece of bark. My latest one for when I move my hatchling from his chinese takeaway tub into a bigger sandwich box, is the lid from my hot chocolate powder. It looks like it will be the perfect size - well for about a month lol.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  09:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ian, it is really good that you (and Gizmo ) have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. You have probably already checked these out but in case you havent....the best place to look is Care Sheet helpful. Also have a look at Your 1st snake. As Gizmo is a hatchling then Setting Up A Hatchling Corn Snake - My 101 is definitely required reading!

I am not sure if you have been told this....but we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow Gizmo to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so he can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting Gizmo to de-stress and feel safe with you.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately you have experienced what a lot of us have found....that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . Like the fact that you were told you didnt need a thermostat to control the heatmat and you werent advised to get a digital thermometer to monitor the heat - 2 vital pieces of equipment. I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this with Gizmo, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Gizmo is a gorgeous looking snake and I am so glad you put up the pics of his faun....as Gingerpony has been able to give you some great advice about giving him a smaller hide and an extra hide on the warm side, as well as adding some plants to allow him to feel more secure. If you look at Show us your set ups you can get some good ideas. Another good thread to check out is How to make cheap hides. A lot of us have got cheap plants from Dunelm Mill. This is their website so you can get a good idea what they offer - dunelm-mill.com.

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

weasle1uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  21:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog thanks for the warm welcome and information.

I had feeling that the shop did not give me the best of info so thank you all for clearing that up.

Today I got a thermostat, thermometer, 2 more hides and a plastic plant. Think i might wait until i feed Gizmo on tuesday before i put it all in, as i will be feeding him in the tub i collected him in.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  04:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by weasle1uk

........Today I got a thermostat, thermometer, 2 more hides and a plastic plant. Think i might wait until i feed Gizmo on tuesday before i put it all in, as i will be feeding him in the tub i collected him in.

Am not sure what to advise here Ian....unfortunately I've been away a few days so havent been on. If I had seen that you got your thermostat etc I would have suggested you put it all in immediately so that it was all up and running before you feed Gizmo, as the worry is having him on an unstatted heatmat after a feed. It MAY still be best to get it all in first thing this morning if you can, so he has a day to settle in and time for you to 'tweak' the thermostat so that the digital thermometer is showing a good temperature....but it is very close to a feed for you to do that....

Wish I knew what to do and what to say for the best ....but I am not experienced enough to know, sorry.

And no thanks necessary....as you can see I dont always have the right information and answers ....and the forum is here to help !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

weasle1uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2010 :  15:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Kellog

Gizmo shed on Monday
I set up the thermostat and thermometer yesterday.
I have now put 2 smaller hides. All sorted now (I think lol)

I measured and weighed him he is 40cm and 9g.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  03:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by weasle1uk

........Gizmo shed on Monday
I set up the thermostat and thermometer yesterday.
I have now put 2 smaller hides. All sorted now (I think lol)........

Great to hear Ian and I bet you were so pleased to have Gizmo shed (did you get to see it and was it a clean shed?).

Well done for getting the thermostat and the thermometer sorted out and installed so quickly....its a lot more reassuring knowing what is going on temp wise in his viv....and he must be a lot happier having the smaller hides.

Definitely all sorted !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

weasle1uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  07:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately i did not get to see him shed, checked him over and it looks to of been a clean shed.

The thermostat according to the thermometer is going to 32 at highest and 28 lowest is this ok?

He seems alot happier in his smaller hides, I got a fake plant to put in but it turned out to be far to big for his viv so i put it behind the viv instead makes it look less exposed now, I enjoyed watching him eat for the 1st time,

just curious as to how long i should be handling him for each day?
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  13:52:29  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000