Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sarahw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  19:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have just rehomed a 2 year old corn snake on friday(yesterday)
we thought we would let him settle in peace and this eve opened his vivarium and he decided to strike out at us and even when we shut the glass doors! he was also shaking his tail(quite like a rattlesnake)
he was fine when we all handled him yesterday at the previous owners house
and he has always fed and shed well and been healthy

so we are now wondering what to do now and what the best course of action would be?
the snake is my sons pet after he recently became obsessed with them following a visit to a safari park where we all held one
and he is quite gutted the snake has down this
any info would be gratefully eceived
thanks
sarah

1.2.0cats:felix, whiskers&gizmo
1.0.0staffie tyson

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  19:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
give him a week on his own with no handling/feeding, just water changes on a daily basis and he should begin to settle in - remember hes moved from a familiar place to a totally new one with new sounds, people and smells!
have you got a record of all his sheds/feeding dates? he could possibly be due a shed hence being a grouch..
hope this helps

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  20:10:46  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
welcome to the forum

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

sarahw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  20:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi hannah
thanks didnt realise it was a week! silly me.
i thought a day or 2!
i know he was fed yesterday morning and i also know about the no handeling after 2 days from a feed so was just trying to get him used to my han really
will leave him for a week from now and then feed him
hopefully he will get used to it here
ocassionly we see him moving around and going up the walls of his viv so seems quite active

i havnt go a record of his shedding althoug i did ask for it
was also told that he doesnt like being fed in a regular pattern ie: every 7 days, that he likes it chaned say 7 days one week then 8 or 9 another and so on.
and also that he is not ment to have fresh water that he likes water that is a little stale?

1.0.0staffie tyson
Go to Top of Page

sarahw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  20:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi herriotfan
thanks

1.0.0staffie tyson
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  23:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i am new aswell i stole my boyfriends snake yesterday as he kept trying 2 bite him an does nt me lol so welcome

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  23:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome,

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  00:11:15  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome!
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  01:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there! Hope you have better luck after a week! And if you don't, tell your son it doesn't hurt TOO much!!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  01:52:23  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya n welcome here :)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  03:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sarah, am really glad you have joined us and am sure that we can guide you in the right direction with your new snake! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know....but it is better heard twice than not at all.

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is Care Sheet helpful. Also have a look at Your 1st snake and Setting Up An Adult Corn Snake - My 101 is worth looking at even if you are not setting up a viv, it gives great information about looking after a snake in general.

Dont worry about thinking it was only the 2 days you needed to leave your snake to settle in. Very few people seem to know that the snake needs longer and even pet shops dont often advise it ! As HannahB has said, the no handling or feeding for the first week allows your snake to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so he can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about him not feeding during that week if he is due a feed, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. At least now you know and can give him that chance to destress and hopefully once he has he will begin to behave differently.

When the week is up I would suggest you feed him, leave him for the needed 48hrs and then try to handle him. This thread on Handling Advice may give you some tips on how to start. As it says in it, he will rattle and may even more into a strike position (or even strike)....but put yourself in his position with this great big hand descending on him ! It is just something he has to get used to and soon he will realise that you are not a threat. It really is just a case of being calm and patient....it will take time and your son needs to realise this.

As for the other information you were given....I think that you will find that most of us feed our snakes on a regular schedule depending on their age, either every 5 days/6 days/once a week/every 10 days/once a fortnight. It certainly is a lot easier doing it that way than constantly changing it and to be honest I wouldnt have thought the snake would know the difference! How old and heavy is he? What is he being fed on at the moment?

And the water....I think most of us change our snake's water daily, although it doesnt matter if they go a couple of days without it being changed. Some forum members even use filtered or bottled water....but my snakes get plain old tap water, poor things [;)!!

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . Like the fact that so many shops will sell a snake with a starter set up, but not let you know that you need a thermostat to control the heatmat and a digital thermometer to monitor the heat - 2 vital pieces of equipment. I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am not sure if you have thought of doing this, but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries'....noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - How to - Post images using photobucket

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You and your son have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

sarahw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  14:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi kellog
i have read quite a lot on here to do with snakes and its all very informative
at the moment i have just been doing the suggested water changes daily and straightening out the substrate and making sure the viv is nice and clean and he pokes his head out of hides and sometimes watches me or nips back in so i think hes getting used to me slowly.
my son is very patient so thats good
im not sure of his age i was told roughly 2-3 years, dont know his weight or length or shedding info as the previous owner did not keep this info, so i shall start from now with all of this, will hopefully get to weigh him at some point
he is not very big and currently feeds on fuzzy mice.
what is the best way to measure how long they are, do you wait untill tey shed to get an idea of their length. he is currently in a 2foot by 1foot by 1foot viv.

will also try and get pics on here asap depending sonic( my son has now named him)

your 2 snakes look lovely very nice colours, did not know there was so many different colours for corns
i have seen an albino corn, the one we have now is what i would class as a normal colour corn snake from the colours that i have seen
sarah

1.0.0staffie tyson
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  14:36:51  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Sarah!!

Pics please!!! would live to see him!!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  03:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sarahw

........at the moment i have just been doing the suggested water changes daily and straightening out the substrate and making sure the viv is nice and clean and he pokes his head out of hides and sometimes watches me or nips back in so i think hes getting used to me slowly.

my son is very patient so thats good.

........i shall start from now with all of this, will hopefully get to weigh him at some point........

what is the best way to measure how long they are, do you wait untill tey shed to get an idea of their length. he is currently in a 2foot by 1foot by 1foot viv........

your 2 snakes look lovely very nice colours, did not know there was so many different colours for corns

........the one we have now is what i would class as a normal colour corn snake from the colours that i have seen

sarah

Well done for letting Sonic settle in, it sounds as though it is working and that week of waiting will soon be over. It is good that he is taking an interest in what is going on and I am sure he is out exploring while you are fast asleep !

You are very lucky to have a patient son!! I know mine isnt and havent come across many that are ! What a great name your son has chosen for him....I dont think we have another corn called Sonic on the forum.

I am not surprised you dont have any real history on him, not a lot of keepers feel it is necessary....but I am glad you are going to start keeping records, they really are useful (although I do go a bit overboard with mine ).

I use my snakes sheds to get their measurements although this is not very accurate....you need to subtract 10% of the length of the shed to allow for stretching and, of course, you can only do it if you have a full shed. There is a more accurate way to measure your snake's length using a photograph, it is the Snake Measurer, although some of us have come up with other ways to measure our snakes - How to measure your snake.

Thank you for your comments about my snakes , Kellog is a ghost and Silvesta is an anery. If you want to see what kind of morph Sonic might be then you could visit IansVivarium (This site comes with a warning , once you go on to it you will come away with a wish list of all the morphs you have fallen in love with and want to get!) or you could wait until you can put up some pics and see what the experts on here say .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  11:41:15  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  17:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome! You'll find TONS of useful information on here, this is just about my one stop shop for Corn care. I love it, everyone is nice and helpful. Hope you find the same.

Go to Top of Page

sarahw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  11:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and thanks for the welcome this site is deffinately the best that i have come accross so much info

1.0.0staffie tyson
Go to Top of Page

sarahw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  11:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi kellog
my son likes his sonic ds games so got the name that way he thought it was a cool name, although my 5 year old daughter wants to call him daisy despite us telling her that he is a boy, plus we already have a rat called daisy.
we have quite a few pets now between us, we have had pretty much every furry pet going looks like we will now start with reptiles! and judging by the page with all the different morphs think it will be very likely if my kids ever see it as there are so many lovely looking colours. my son has even asked if you can keep rattlesnakes as pets(better not try that one!)
im quite suprised how well i have taken to him as i never used to like snakes all that much, but can easily see the attraction.
cant wait untill we can hold him, the weeks wait is so long! im sure everyone else on the site will agree how slow the first week is, still its best to let them settle, will be able to get him out on sunday after he has had hes feed on friday
will need a few adjustments to his viv thou as he only has a small water dish which is very light so need to get him a bigger sturdier one plus want to get him a branch and some vines so he has something to climb on, he did come with his hides and heat mat with thermostat so had the mportant stuff but wont hurt making things more interesting for him

1.0.0staffie tyson
Go to Top of Page

sly
Hatchling

United Kingdom
273 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  11:54:47  Show Profile  Click to see sly's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the site I am new to the forum hope your snake settles in ok and that u can handle him ok :)

James

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  12:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. I'm another newbie on here.
Your son sounds very much like mine,he's been very patient with the settling in and through the shedding process (he couldn't wait to see Loki's shed skin bless him. He's already said when he's grown up he wants more snakes including a cobra and a reticulated python (think he may change his mind on them when he's older!!) and will no doubt have pet frogs too!!
Good luck on Sunday,hope it all goes well and your son and his snake are happy

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

sarahw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  14:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks james

1.0.0staffie tyson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic